Outcome 6 -Reaction Stoichiometry
Welcome to the Honors Chemistry News Letter!
The hon chem students are working very hard and should be commended! They are making the connection that practicing problems gives them the understanding, experience and confidence they need to excel on summative exams and avoid reassessment. Please keep encouraging them to do their homework.
% Yield Lab on Thurs., Feb. 18 ... Wear close-toed shoes!
This is a very calculation intense outcome. I have noticed that a few students do not have a calculator to use for a variety of reasons - batteries are dead, can't find charger, lost my calculator, etc. It is important that they practice on their own calculator and not their phone before the summative. It would be great if you could take a moment to ask them if their calculators are up to speed. Thank you.
Tentative Outcome 6 Summative Date: Tues., Feb. 23, 2016
Frequently Asked Questions...
- How long does my student have to complete the reassessment? Until the next outcome summative. For example, students must be finished reassessing Outcome 5 by the time they take Outcome 6 Summative.
- How can my child get extra help? Before and after school CASH on Tues. and Thurs.; Sign-up for CASH during study hall; sign-up with Mrs. Capriotti for help.
- Can my student attend CASH during sectionals? Yes, but they must prearrange this with their music teacher at least a day in advance.
- What activities do the students do to understand the material? Students have done an introductory inquiry activity called a POGIL, snowball fight, postering, a gallery walk, demo, labs, practice problems. If you aren't sure what some of these things are then its a great opportunity to ask your student.
- Will there be a review before the summative? Students will be given a practice test, study guide, vocabulary terms on Tues., Feb. 15, 2017 And we will review the day before the test.
- Are there extra problems given if students need more practice? Yes , I have extra questions for each outcome and have made the keys available.
- What is the best advice students can follow to earn a good grade in Honors Chemistry? Be in class, do your homework, ask questions and learn from your mistakes.
What is Reaction Stoichiometry
Students studied chemical reactions in detail in Outcome 5. They are able to predict the products when two chemicals are mixed. Impressive right? By the end of Outcome 6 they will not only be able to predict WHAT is produced, they will also be able to determine HOW MUCH is produced. Reaction stoichiometry allows a chemist (or student chemist) to determine the amount of any substance in a chemical reaction by simply knowing the amount of one of the other substances in the reaction.