The Titan Times: Week 4
The River Place Elementary School (RPE) Campus Newsletter
In this Edition:
- Message from the Principal
- Mark Your Calendars and Links to District and Lunch Calendars
- Growing a Titan Mindset and Connection Every Day!
- Upcoming Election Information: Leander ISD Props A & B
- Join the Leander ISD Facility Advisory Committee
- Student & Parent Handbook: Party & Food Delivery Policies
- Attendance Information
- Child Nutrition Services (CNS) Information
- Nurse's Nook Info
- Counselor's Connection Info
- Website Information to Support Communication
- Ways to Stay Engaged- Great News! There are TONS!
Welcome back from a long weekend! Seeing our Titan Community again after a break is always life giving. Thank you for sharing your children with our Titan Life Changers. I hope this newsletter reaches you doing well and flourishing in our community!
As mentioned last week, there will be opportunities for your child to show what they know and develop goals through various universal screeners like the NWEA MAP and iStation Indicators of Progress (ISIP). These beginning, middle, and end of year universal screeners allow our Titan life changers to know how to support your child's learning progress throughout the year. Over the next few weeks, your Titan's classroom teacher will reach out about scheduling a parent conference to review this data as well as areas of focus for this semester.
We launch our APEX two week-long event on campus starting on September 13th. The purpose of this organization is to mix leadership, fitness, and entertainment in the school day while growing our school funds to support innovative, flexible spaces in our library and expanding our teachers' access to instructional tools and devices. Be on the look out for more information next week!
Please look at our upcoming events and consider adding them to your family's activity calendar like Grandparents Day lunch. Yes, we are welcoming our grandparents! We invite grandparents to join their grandchildren for lunch on Friday, September 9th during their grandchild's scheduled lunch period.**Please note that due to cafeteria staffing, we will not be able to serve adult lunches (but grandparents are welcome to bring outside food in with them if they would like to eat lunch too), we apologize for any inconvenience. **Please note that students will ONLY be able to eat at their scheduled grade level time and cannot be pulled from class to eat with siblings. In the days leading up to the event, we ask that grandparents come to campus during regular hours to pre-scan their ID into our systems. All grandparents that RSVP and have their ID scanned will have a pre-printed badge waiting for them so they can head right into the cafeteria for lunch and not have to wait in line.The form will close TOMORROW, so if you have plans to attend, please RSVP as soon as possible.
If you would like to be more involved, please review how to serve on Watch D.O.G.S., become a substitute teacher or cafeteria volunteer, and join our Parent Teacher Association (PTA). PTA will have their first general meeting on Wednesday, September 14th at 6 PM. That right, we will have our meetings in the evenings so that our families have a better opportunity to attend. We hope to see you there!
All that being said, we have plenty of ways for you to serve our Titan Community, and we hope you get plugged in. Thanks for your consideration and for being a part of our Titan Community! Please feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to serve!
Dr. Amy Sharp, Proud RPE Principal
Mark Your Calendars
- 9th: Grandparents Day Lunch (RSVP here)
- 11th: Texas 1st Responders Day and 9/11 Remembrance
- 13th: APEX Pep Rally at 1:30 PM and Start of Fundraiser
- 14th: PTA General Meeting at 6 PM in the Cafeteria
- 15th: International Dot Day! Learn more here. Wear your dots!
- 17th: Constitution Day and Celebrate Freedom Week
- 18- October 15th: National Hispanic Heritage Month
- 23rd: APEX fun run!
- 26th: Staff Development Day (No School for Students)
- 29th: Site-Based Planning Committee (SBPC), RPE's Campus Impact Team, Meeting #1
- 30th: American Indian Heritage Day
This details the entire school year's student holidays, staff development days, early release, etc.
If you are a family who needs support with purchasing Titan gear, please reach out to our school counselor, Ms. Jennifer Randall, at firstname.lastname@example.org
MUST KNOW: Upcoming Election Information
Check out information here: Leander ISD Props A & B Information
Information sessions in our area are coming soon!
MUST KNOW: Join the Facility Advisory Committee to Have a Voice in Leander ISD's Future
We will form six subcommittees to focus on:
- High schools – maximum of 9 members for each high school feeder pattern
- Middle schools – maximum of 6 members for each middle school feeder pattern
- Elementary schools – maximum of 2 members for each elementary feeder pattern
- Technology – 25 members
- Ancillary services – 25 members
- Security – 25 members
Each subcommittee will work with a district administrator to evaluate district needs. Applicants will be expected to attend the kick-off meeting at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 20, 2022, at the LEO Conference Center as well as all subcommittee meetings. As we build our committees, please know we are working to balance representation to include all regions of our district.
The culmination of the CFAC planning could include a recommendation for a future bond election package, which will ultimately go to the Board of Trustees for final approval before being presented to voters.
The deadline to submit an application for a CFAC Subcommittee is Friday, Sept. 30.
MUST KNOW: Party & Food Delivery Policy (Student Handbook Pgs 48-49)
- There will be two (2) official school parties per year for each class to be determined by the individual campus. RPE's two official school parties are the winter party and end of year party held at the grade level's discretion of date and time.(pg. 48)
- A student’s classmates will recognize him/her on his/her birthday and make the student feel special. Because learning is our most important job, we will not take time out from our class time to share balloons or other party favors on birthdays.(pg. 48) At RPE, we will celebrate students at Titan Time monthly and potentially through teacher classroom recognition. If families wish to celebrate a birthday, we encourage Titan Families to bring in a non food item. Some examples of non-food items are but are not limited to: pencils, pencil erasers, donate a book to the classroom with your child's name on it to the classroom library, and other school appropriate trinkets.
- Out of respect and concern for others, invitations to private parties may not be distributed at school unless distributed to the entire class.(pg. 48)
- Parents may provide food for their own child’s consumption, but they may not provide food items for other children. (pg. 48)
- Students are not allowed to have food delivered to school from commercial establishments. (pg. 49)
If you have any questions, please let Dr. Amy Sharp know.
MUST KNOW: Attendance Information
Regular and punctual attendance is the greatest single factor in school success. Texas Compulsory Attendance Law requires students to attend school regularly, unless otherwise exempted by law. It is the responsibility of the parent and student to cooperate and communicate with the school on all attendance matters. The key to high school graduation is strong school attendance and parental involvement. Proper documentation must be provided by the student and/or parent/guardian within 48 hours of the student’s return to school after an absence. See LISD Parent & Student Handbook for complete attendance policy.
If your child arrives late because they were at a doctor's appointment that day - please be sure to check into the front office with a doctor's note that shows your child had an appointment that day.
Please email all other attendance notes to: email@example.com
MUST KNOW: Child Nutrition Services (CNS)
Please check out these informative flyers:
Foodie Newsletter: More than just Menus Check it out!
Low Cost Meal Update: Must read for families about paying for lunch. There is support for you.
CNS Promotions: Check out the themed days in the cafe.
Our Titans Need Snacks, Please
While most of our students bring healthy snacks daily, we have families who need some support. Therefore, we are holding a snack drive to support our Titan Community!
You may be asking yourself, what can I send in?
- Individually bagged snacks
- Nut-free items
- Healthy (low in sugar)
Please deliver snacks by dropping them off with our receptionist, Natasha Lewis. In advance, thank you for your generous donations!
Counselor's Connection with Ms. Jennifer Randall
September Ethical Behavior is: Respect for Others
Check Out Our Website for...
- School Dismissal Manager Info
- Bus Information/ Smart Tag Info
- Car Rider Information (or Click Here for Video)
- Calendar Information
- Grade Level Team and Teacher Websites
WAYS TO STAY CONNECTED AND ENGAGED ON CAMPUS: YES, OUR TITANS NEED YOU!
Join Watch D.O.G.S.
What is Watch D.O.G.S.?
WATCH D.O.G.S. is a national program focusing on the prevention of violence in our children’s schools by using the positive influence of fathers and father-figures to be a positive role model for all students. While on campus, WATCH D.O.G.S may:
read and work on flash cards with kids,
play at recess, eat lunch with their child,
watch the school entrances and hallways,
assist with pick up and drop off
How do I get involved?
Read through the expectations and sample schedule
Register as a Leander ISD Volunteer
Fill out the RPE Watch Dogs Registration Form
After confirming volunteer status, Marc Grace will reach out with more information and schedule a Friday to volunteer.
Become a Volunteer Reader!
Learn more about how you can support our literacy program by volunteering to read to our Titans!
Become a Substitute Teacher
River Place Elementary Titan Community
Here are our Titan Community Communication Tools-
- River Place Elementary School Website
- Twitter Account
- PTA Facebook Page
- Remind App for River Place Insiders