Teaching and Learning
Behind the Scenes Look
What is Conscious Discipline?
Tell Me More ...
Conscious Discipline was created by Dr. Becky Bailey, an internationally renowned expert in child developmental psychology, Conscious Discipline is built on the premise of developing discipline within children rather than applying discipline to them. It can be pictured as a pyramid with four stages.
- Helping children progress from physical or verbal aggression to calm self-regulation, freeing them to make better choices and empathize with others.
Seven Powers as Adults
- Among these powers is the ability to see discipline as an opportunity to teach rather than a disruption... and to stay in control of our own actions, creating the safest of environments for our students.
Connect Members of the School Family
- Building stronger connections in the classroom and school community will increase students willingness to solve problems together rather than fight against each other.
- Attention seeking behaviors in children are automatically reduced at this stage, which isn't surprising since most people crave connection more than attention.
Seven Skills of Discipline
- New ways of responding to events will help students develop kindness and self-respect, honor those different than themselves, solve problems with compassion, and grow into responsible adults.