February 16, 2016
I hope you have had a wonderful holiday weekend. I know it has been cold, but hopefully, the weather did not prevent you from enjoying a little more time with family and/or friends.
As we progress through third quarter, I wanted to communicate how much I appreciate all that you are doing to help your students to be successful. Over the course of the last several days, I have received quite a few emails from parents about the level of support that you are providing students. One mother wrote, "I am so happy with how you have communicated what’s going on in class via your email blog. It is helping me to know what to ask Evan about what he is doing in class." Another shared, "I so appreciate your caring and kind attitude...You are tops in my book." These are just a small sample of what I have been hearing from the parents of your students. Your hard work truly does make a difference.
Thank you. Have a wonderful rest of the week!
Five Quick Facts
- I’m engaged and can’t wait for October to get here so I can no longer be “Troch!”
- We have gone to 7 ballparks and plan to add 3 this year. We try to plan our vacations around baseball schedules so this is fun and challenging when you want to go to see a couple of teams in the same state!
- I’m from the Kansas City side (that’s where my family lives), so that’s why some of my Tweets are always supporting the Royals and Chiefs. I have grown to love the Cardinals over the years, but if they play against the Royals I am torn!
- Over the years I have acquired a wine snob hobby of collecting and tasting fine wines. I look forward to traveling abroad to actually learn even more about wine in other regions.
- Crazy as it seems at 4:40 am each morning I am at the gym working out. I plan on running another 5K in April but am working towards running a half marathon.
Next person: I select Mike Freedline!
- We had two National Merit Finalists. I will be announcing the names today.
- Congratulations to FHN HOSA and NHS Polar Bear Plunge Team. They have raised $4700 for Special Olympics Athletes. they will be featured on the Fox 2 Morning Show on February 24, 2016
- FHN students place sixth nationally in Crystal Growing competition: http://ow.ly/Y5YEE #FHSDPride #KnightPride http://fb.me/4rvauKvzb
- Great Dinner Concert by Knightsound. It was descirbed as "amazing."
- Great work on makeup for Theater Fundraiser, Very scary!:)
Guidance has meet with all 16-17 students for Individual Advisement.
We will be meeting on Tuesday 2/16 to look at the survey results that were sent out to all staff and start planning for the 2016-2017 school year PD. If you would like to be a part of this committee, please contact Stephanie Johnson or Katie Greer.
Homeroom Intervention Committee
This new committee will be meeting on Monday 2/22. If you would like to be a part of this committee or if you have more questions, please let Katie Greer know. We love to have representation from all departments.
Tools for your Toolbox
1. Select Prompt, question or sentence starter.
2. Students generate responses and randomly copy them onto whiteboards or chart papers.
3. Students will wander around looking for similarities, differences and surprises and record their reactions.
4. Students will share their observations in a small group.
We are going to reschedule our Attendance Committee meeting due to some members being unable to attend on 2/11
The Behavior Leadership team met last week and are reviewing work related to Restorative Discipline. More information to come.
We will hold our staff lunch and after school chats this Thursday, 2/18. We will discuss current disciplinary practice at FHN and get feedback on how to improve. Desserts will be provided by the PTO to help us celebrate national chocolate month.
Please note that most labs will be reserved beginning the week of 2/22 through 4/29 for EOC pretesting and EOC regular testing.
The Tech Committee met this week and has scheduled the next Lunch and Learn for this Friday. Mr. Riffee will be presenting on Google Apps and extensions and you can sign up by clicking on the link below.
The Tech committee has sent out their quarterly online newsletter, which has some great resources and information.
Counselors would like to thank our Government teachers for facilitating a college/career survey! Survey data: 82 students in the class of 2017 report that neither of their parents went to college. 41 students in the class of 2017 report that neither their parents or a siblings have gone to college.
We are using this data to invite students on the bus trip to SCC, and for our 1st generation counseling group.
EOC and ACT Testing Window
4/11- 4/19 ELA, Alg 2, and Gov
4/25- 5/3 Alg 1 and Bio
North Street Coffee House
Thursday, Feb. 25th, 7:30am to Friday, Feb. 26th, 2:30pm
You're invited to 2016 North Street Coffeehouse!
What: 2016 North Street Coffeehouse
Where: Learning Commons, Area 3
When: February 25 and 26, Hours 1-7
Why: Coffee or hot chocolate, cookie, and fabulous performances, much like an open mic night.
How: Come during your plan period and enjoy!
Students attend 2016 North Street Coffeehouse through their English class.
Live streaming will be available at FHNtoday.com