February 8, 2016
February Is Awesome!
Bring Your Stapler: Monday, February 8
Mix It Up Lunch: February 11
Thursday, February 11, 5th graders will host the 5th Annual Mix It Up Lunch, a national campaign by Teaching Tolerance. 5th-8th grade students get a free “mix it up” dress day on February 11, and are to wear a mis-matched outfit as a reminder that we each have unique and colorful gifts to offer each other and the world. They will have lunch together in the gym, playing ice-breaker games designed to create connection across grades and across group divisions. 5th graders will show some of their Great Kindness Project videos, and encourage Middle School to participate in random acts of kindness throughout the school year! Please have your student pack a lunch that day. As a special treat, the 5th grade class will be providing dessert for the occasion. Contact Susan Reedy with any questions you may have.
Desserts Needed Thursday, February 11
- bring enough for 8 people
- bring easy-to-eat items: cupcakes, clementines, cookies, etc.
- should not require refrigeration, utensils, or plates
- drop off dessert in Gym starting at 7:45 am
Grandparents' & Special Friends Day
Invitations have been mailed for Grandparents’ and Special Friends Day which will be held on Friday, February 12, 2016. Dismissal for all students will be at 11:00 am. Permissions slips are required for those students who will be going home with grandparents or special guests. Be sure to remind your grandparents and special friends to RSVP to Barbara Carlberg at (626) 229-2126 or firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP.
Joshua Tree Information
- Meeting: Boojum Institute educators will meet with students and parents on February 26, 12:35-1:40 pm, in Mr. Pattullo's room. They'll explain in detail what to expect at Joshua Tree, and how to prepare for the trip.
- Medical Form: Please click here and complete the mandatory Boojum Medical Form, due February 26.
- Sweatshirt Order: Boojum sweatshirts must be ordered and paid for at MJS. Sweatshirts aren't being sold at Joshua Tree. Please send $30.00 (checks payable to MJS) with your order. Sizes available are youth medium; youth large; adult small; adult medium; and adult large. Deadline is February 24.
Dates to Remember
- February 10: Ash Wednesday Service, 9:10 am, Gym
- February 11: Middle School Mix-It Up Lunch, 12-1 pm, Gym
- February 12: Grandparents' and Special Friends Day
- February 12: Concert Dress with Valentine's Accessories
- February 12: School Dismissal at 11:00 am
- February 12 & 15: Extended Programs Closed
- February 15-19: Winter Break
- February 16-19: Extended Programs Open
- February 22: School Resumes
- February 24: Boojum Sweatshirt Order Due
- February 26: Boojum Medical Form Due
- February 26: Boojum Institute Meeting (students & parents)
- February 29: Union Station Lunches, Guyer/Pattullo