Whittier Weekly Newsletter
October 16, 2020
Coming up in the week ahead...
Dear Whittier Families,
We are really looking forward to parent conferences on October 21, 22, and 23. The school schedule will be different on those days and we wanted to make sure you had information ahead of time in order to prepare.
There are no pre-k classes on these three days. **Our full-day pre-k classroom will operate in the afternoon on a modified schedule, however.
Wednesday, October 21 and Thursday October 22: 4 hour late start. Student instructional time in the afternoon Parent-Teacher conferences until 8 pm
Friday, October 23: 3.5 hour early dismissal. Instructional time in the morning. Conferences in the afternoon until 4:00 pm
What to expect before conference time?
- Sign-up genius from your child's classroom teacher
- Parent input to prepare for conference time
- Student input in preparation for conference
What to expect at your conference?
- a focus on what you shared in your input prior to the conference
- a collaboration focused on your students' success
- specific information that will lead to action
What to expect after your conference?
- a specific goal that has three actors all working on student learning and success: the student will do..., the teacher will do..., the parent will do...
Next distribution date for materials:
When? November 4th (possibly 11th) from 5:00-7:00 pm
Who? We will send communication for any grade levels that need to provide some materials to students and families
Thank you, as always, for your continued support for your child and our school.
Mr. OhEithir, Principal
Counselor's Corner with Mrs. Reese and Mrs. Leatherman
Counseling Support During Conferences:
We are available to meet with parents and families during the upcoming parent teacher conferences. Please contact your school counselor directly if you wish to set up a meeting or if you would like us to attend your Parent Teacher Conferences. We are working with teachers to provide support while being mindful of the limited time allotted for conferences.
Mrs. Reese (grades 3-5) : Lisa.firstname.lastname@example.org 240-236-3170.
Mrs Leatherman (grades K-2): Kirsten.email@example.com 240-236-3135.
Counseling Groups Sign Up:
If you are interested in having your child participate in a counseling group please complete the surveys below. We are meeting with students by grade level during lunch and asynchronous learning.
Parent Permission is required for students to participate in small groups.
Safety First! Here is a message from one of our Safety Patrols about how to stay safe!
Red Ribbon/ Character Counts Week Spirit Week:
We will be having a Spirit Week during Character Counts/Red Ribbon Week the week of October 26th-30th. Mark your calendars for Spirit Week!
Monday October 26th- Character Counts Day! Dress up like your favorite book character!
Tuesday October 27th- Wear Red for Red Ribbon Week!
Wednesday, October 28th- Top off Hump Day by wearing a Hat!
Thursday, October 29th- Be Happy and comfy….Wear Your PJs!
Friday- October 30th Hero Day! Heroes are brave! Wear a hero costume!
Whittier Elementary School Parent Teacher Association
WhES PTA Information
- The PTA held their first PTA meeting on Monday October 5, 2020. The turn out was fantastic! Thank you to everyone who took time to join us for the meeting!
- Committee positions open and available. If you are interested in getting involved, we have a place for you. Experience isn’t necessary! Look for details on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
- The PTA needs you! Click here to join the PTA. All members will be entered into a raffle for cool prizes. Names will be drawn on October 28th @ Trunk or Treat.
- Mark your calendars for October 28th 6:30-8:00 for drive through Trunk or Treat. We need some trunks and some treaters…. Sign up here: Trunk or Treat Sign Up
- Parent Teacher Conferences are right around the corner. Our PTA hosts dinner for our teachers on one of the evening conferences. With COVID restrictions, we can not provide food. We are asking for gift card donations to restaurants for our teachers. Gift cards can be dropped off at WhES front office from 9 -3 starting Monday October 12 until Monday October 19th. A PTA Board member will be available at the school on Wednesday October 14th from 4:00-8:00 pm to accept gift cards.
- Box Tops- We are still collecting Box Tops. Great news- you just need to scan your receipts- no more clipping! https://www.boxtops4education.com/
- Follow us on Facebook- @WhittierPTAFrederick
- Follow us on Twitter- @whittierpta1
- Follow us on Instagram @whittierpta1
Whittier Elementary School - Believe, Achieve, Succeed
We will also communicate through our school website
Follow me on Twitter @fcpsOhEithir where I will communicate school news and happenings