Why kids start smoking
By: Addie Soucheck
Why kids start
Teens smoke for many reasons and often for the same reason as adults. 70% of people start smoking before the age of 18. Most kids/teens mostly start because their parents smoke, peer pressure, it is advertising, and they think that since everyone else is, they should because it is "cool".
Nicotine makes tobacco use addictive
Nicotine in tobacco causes teens to become addicted much faster than adults because their body is not fully developed. You’re addicted if
- You crave your cigarettes or other tobacco.
- You feel nervous without your cigarettes.
- You try to quit using and have trouble doing it.
What Smoking Does to Your Body
- Carbon monoxide in tobacco smoke takes oxygen from your body while many cancer-causing chemicals go in.
- Your teeth and nails turn yellow and disgusting and your breath stinks.
- You cannot taste or smell things very well.
- Nicotine, the main drug in tobacco, causes your heart to beat faster and work less effectively. Nicotine is highly addictive.
"Health Effects of Smoking among Young People." WHO. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2015
Carstensen, Melinda. "Why Do Teens Still Smoke? On Addiction, Advertising, and the Rise of E-cigarettes." Fox News. FOX News Network, 27 Jan. 2015. Web. 19 Mar. 2015.
"Man Punched in Mouth for Denying Stranger a Cigarette in Village, Cops Say - Greenwich Village - DNAinfo.com New York." DNAinfo New York. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2015.
"Youth and Tobacco Use." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 14 Feb. 2014. Web. 25 Feb. 2015.
"West Valley Environmental Services." West Valley Environmental Services. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2015.
"Teens and Smoking." HealthyChildren.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2015.
"How Long Does It Take for Nicotine to Get Out Of Your System?" - EnkiCharity. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Mar. 2015.
"Health Effects of Tobacco." - Facts About Youth Smoking, Nicotine Addiction & Secondhand Smoke. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Mar. 2015.