7th Grade Health
Periods 1 & 2
Today, the class was given the standards & sub-standards for our unit (see below). From there, we took a few notes and then the class was given a short homework assignment on Edmodo tonight. They were also asked to really think about how they would like to show that they have mastered the standards for this unit. Some students have already said that they would like to do a PowerPoint or a poster. Others have mentioned making a diorama that relates to tobacco. Tomorrow (Tuesday) we will begin class with students writing down on paper exactly what their choice is and then beginning to work on it.
The targeted due date is Tuesday, December 1st.
There are two reasons that I'm taking this approach:
1) To ensure that all learning styles are hit
2) To lessen the amount of stress that is on students. The two classes had a great conversation last week about the amount of expectations and stress that is upon them. This idea was developed out of that conversation. The students very honest that they did feel as though by taking this approach, it would help to lessen the stress as they are being given more choice and ultimately, are choosing what work best for them.
Tobacco Unit Standards
7th Grade Health Tobacco Unit Standards
HE7.1: Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention to enhance health.
A. Examine how healthy behaviors influence personal health.
B. Summarize the interrelationship of emotional, social, and physical health in adolescence.
H. Predict the risk of injury or illness if engaging in unhealthy behaviors.
HE7.2: Students will analyze the influence of family, peers, culture, media, technology, and other factors on health behaviors.
B. Discuss the influence of culture on health behaviors.
E. Examine how information from the media influences health behaviors.
HE7.7: Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and avoid or reduce health risk.
1. Describe the importance of assuming responsibility for personal health behaviors.
- Give personal examples of healthy behaviors that will maintain or improve the health of self and others.
- Demonstrate behaviors to avoid or reduce health risks to self and others.
Standards further Broken Down to Focus on Tobacco
- · Identify the short term and long term effects of tobacco use on body systems (circulatory system, respiratory system, digestive system, & nervous system) HE7.1
- · Define addiction phases and withdrawal for tobacco HE7.1
- · Identify the purpose of advertisements related to tobacco HE7.2
- · Identify tactics used by advertisers to target specific age groups for tobacco use HE7.2
- · Discuss harmful consequences of tobacco use HE7.7