August 2, 2022
Greetings Simpson Parents,
Thank you for making Simpson Elementary such an awesome place for our students to learn! Our theme for the 2022-2023 school year is, “Welcome Home where Superstars SHINE and the future is BRIGHT!” This theme was inspired by YOU, our family-oriented community which makes EVERYONE feel right at HOME! Your unwavering commitment of love shown to our teachers, administrators, and staff is what makes Simpson feel so special! Having this combined shared spirit of collaboration, enthusiasm, and supporting those in need, is what propels student achievement to even greater heights! I want you all to know that I VALUE each and every one of you! I love telling anyone who will listen, that my school is the MOST giving, caring, and thoughtful place to work! I look forward to you all coming HOME! Again, the first day of school will begin on Wednesday, August 3rd for grades K, 1st, & Special Needs. Also, digital learning will take place for grades 2nd-5th. Correction to previous communication in July: There will be no meals served for curbside service for digital learners, as it will only be available for those in person learners on the first day of school. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or our administrative team.
Ms. Brandy Bosak-Grades 1st, 3rd, & 5th
Ms. Jeanette Johnson-Grades K, 2nd, & 4th
Ms. Stephanie Wells-Special Needs & Connections
Proud to be your principal,
Dr. Taffeta Connery
August Calendar Dates
August 1st: PTA Charleston Wrap Kick-Off
August 3rd: In-person First Day for grades K, 1 and Students Served in Small Groups
August 3rd: Digital Learning Day for grades 2nd-5th
August 4th: In-person begins for all students
August 17th: Boy Scout Recruitment Night in Cafeteria at 6 PM
August 18th: PTA Spirit Night-Sushi Osawa
August 23rd: Curriculum Night Grades Pre-2nd at 5:30 PM
August 24th: Girl Scout Information Meeting in the Media Center at 6 PM
August 25th: Curriculum Night Grades 3rd-5th at 5:30 PM
GCPS Return to School~ Staggered start
Gwinnett County Public Schools will have a staggered start to the 22-23 school year. The first day of school for ALL students will begin on Wednesday, August 3rd but ONLY K-1st will begin in person while 2nd-5th will begin the first day digitally. Please see GCPS 2022-23 school calendar and details below.
- Wednesday, August 3rd - Students in grades K, 1, 6, 9, and students with special needs who are served in a small group will start in person. All other students will participate in digital learning at home. If your child is in need of a device in grades 2nd-5th, please see our website for details, prior to MYTD.
- Thursday, August 4th - In-person instruction begins for all other grades.
school safety & security
In regard to safety and security, the school will be reinforcing measures in place to make sure our students and staff are safe at school:
- Visitor Management System (VMS) will be in place for parents/visitors to be buzzed into the building after stating the purpose of their visit.
- Raptor (identification system) will be in place for visitors to provide identification at the front desk.
- Staff and students will continue to conduct monthly fire, tornado, and intruder alert drills throughout the school year to ensure that we maximize safety plans.
- Two fire drills will be conducted within the first 30 days of school. The first one will be conducted during the first 10 days of school. Communication will be sent out soon with our first date.
- NEW this year, all food delivery service providers (e.g. DoorDash) are welcome to notify the front desk of deliveries and then be requested to place items temporarily on the wheeled cart outside the door. The food cart will be monitored frequently to roll inside the building once the front entrance is clear. All uniformed deliveries (UPS/FedEx) will be buzzed inside with packages.
- This delivery system is in place at Simpson to monitor the high volume of foot traffic inside the building.
- We will continue to solicit feedback throughout the year with our school safety committee and school council community stakeholders.
simpson safety plans
GCPS schools have established reasonable and precautionary practices within the school to minimize the risk of infection and/or spread of COVID-19.
Guidance is subject to change based on updated recommendations from CDC/Department of Public Health and will be communicated to local school HRT members.
- Provide opportunities for regular handwashing.
- Implement the custodial schedule/processes to clean high-touch areas during the school day.
- Clearly communicate and follow COVID-19 criteria for return to work/school in consultation with county nurses.
- Face coverings/masks are REQUIRED and MANDATORY for all GCPS employees (per district policy). However, at this time mask coverings are OPTIONAL for students, and visitors.
Action Items for School Plan
- We will ensure that each common area and classroom will have hand sanitizer available for use.
- We will continue to provide ample time for restroom and handwashing opportunities.
- A custodial schedule will be utilized to ensure cleaning of high-touch areas is occurring throughout the school day.
- Please continue to contact our school clinic worker, Mrs. Amy Norris to report any COVID-19 diagnosis immediately to monitor cases and consult with district health officials.
* In addition, if you or anyone in your home is sick and has tested positive for COVID-19, please contact our school nurse, Amy Norris and/or your grade level teacher immediately.
save-the-date for upcoming curriculum night
Please save-the-date as we will be holding two in-person curriculum nights from 5:30- 6:30 p.m. Please make sure that your team has consistent communication across your grade level as you begin to prepare your presentations. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact your grade level administrator.
Tuesday, August 23rd- PreK-2nd/small group at 5:30 PM
Thursday, August 25th 3rd-5th at 5:30 PM
kudos to kindergarten!
Greetings Simpson Family!
I am so excited to share some amazing news that we just received this fall... Simpson Elementary School was recognized as a National PTA School of Excellence from 2021-2023! This prestigious national recognition symbolizes the incredible work that is shared with the collaboration from all of our school stakeholders! We are so proud of our school and wanted to share the great news of how we are vested in building strong family-school connections. Thank you to our outstanding Simpson PTA Leadership and Committees for all that you do to support our Simpson Superstars! Many thanks again!
Proud to be your principal,
Dr. Taffeta Connery
play2learn- have you heard?
Simpson is excited to offer an opportunity for parents with children ages birth to five! We are so blessed to have one of our veteran, retired, and former Simpson Kindergarten Teacher, Ms. Sharon Terry! She will be our Play2Learn instructor during the 22-23 SY. Therefore, please help us spread the good news to all of your family and friends, who may have children in this age range to call the school for additional information.
Want to learn more about how to be your child's best teacher through PLAY? Simpson Elementary is now offering the GCPS from Birth-To-FIVE Program for you and your child!
- Learn how to find teachable moments in everyday life activities
- Learn how to engage your child in play
- Learn how to continue play activities at home and on the or anywhere
- Learn about your child's educational milestones
- Learn how to get your child ready for school
Call the main office today for details at 770-417-2400.
GCPS Students will have access to a meal (breakfast and lunch) throughout the year for each child. However, due to the expiration of USDA Covid-19 waivers, students will now be charged for meals based on their individual eligibility for 2022-2023 School Year.
Therefore, student meals will return to full price at this time or if desire, please complete a free/reduced lunch application on-line via our school website.
- For our school staggered return on Thursday, August 3rd, meals will be offered at the curbside for those students in grades 2nd - 5th between the hour of 11AM -12 PM.
Meal prices for elementary students below:
Student breakfast -$1.50
Student lunch -$2.25
Adult Breakfast -$2.50
Adult Lunch -$3.75
*The adult bar is available to both adult guests and staff throughout the school year.
Parental lunch visitation will begin after the first 30 days of school immediately following Labor Day. We will utilize this time to make sure our Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS) cafeteria expectations are in place with student rituals and routines.
A gentle reminder that outside vendor food (per district policy) is not allowed for students. Please reinforce providing lunch from home or utilizing the school meal plan.
2022-23 School Supply Lists
Need Afterschool Care?
The Norcross Junior Blue Devils Swim Team Invitation for 4th and 5th Graders
Georgia Platinum Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2016 and 2019!
2010 Georgia School of Excellence!
2012 and 2018 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence!
JOIN & DONATE
EVERY DOLLAR & EVERY HOUR MAKES A DIFFERENCE!
When you donate your time, talents & resources to our school, the PTA is able to offer academic & social opportunities that may not otherwise be able to take place.
Information on how to donate and volunteer can be found on the PTA Website:
First General PTA Meeting in Conjunction with Curriculum Night
Spirit Wear on sale until AUGUST 14!
*Store will close at midnight on Sunday, August 14th
Please visit THIS LINK to purchase your gear.
Charleston Wrap Is BACK!!
The sales packets, which include the catalogs and information on how to register your child and place orders, were distributed at Meet Your Teacher Day, or may also be in your child’s weekly folder once school begins.
This year all sales will be online and no paper order forms will need to be filled out. All orders will be shipped directly to the buyer.
Helping us reach our goal is QUICK, EASY, and only takes about 5 minutes. We have partnered with Charleston Wrap® to make it happen! With over 2,500 gift ideas, including UltraHeavy™ gift wrap, gourmet kitchen essentials, personalized gifts & more, friends and family can help us reach our goal by checking off their holiday shopping list! But first, you’ll need to invite them to support our fundraiser! Complete the three (3) steps below and we’ll be on our way to reaching our goals!
Here’s how to help:
- Go to registercw.com. Use our ORGANIZATION ID 11579 to register! One registration per family.
- Send 10 unique and valid shopping email invites to your friends & family using our invite tool at registration.
- Shop! With over 2,500 gift ideas, you can check-off your holiday gift-list and support our important cause, too.
PRO TIP: The more email invites you send, the more supporters we’ll get! So, break out your email contact list, share on social media, and help spread the word!
Will you take a few minutes and register now? Thank you so much for your support!
Thank you so much to Laura Pusateri and Heather Bardi for organizing and distributing school supply kits!
And thank you to the PTA Executive Board for all their help on Meet Your Teacher Day!