Lowell Memo: Issue #15
February 14, 2014
Published by Lowell School & the Lowell PTA
No school Monday, 2/17 in observance of Presidents' Day- see you Tuesday!
Next PTA Meeting: Friday, 2/21 @ 9:30 a.m.
PTA Brings Spanish to Lowell
Important Jamboree Updates
Thanks to all who have sent in carnival and raffle ticket order forms, volunteer and bake sale forms, raffle items and baskets, candy, and prize donations! Jamboree is coming together with the help of the whole school community. A few reminders and updates:
- All pre-sale, volunteer, and bake sale forms are due Friday, February 21st, but the earlier you can send them in, the better.
- We are still in need of donations of full-size candy bars, large raffle baskets, and bake sale goodies. Thanks for your help in supplying these fundraising items.
- This is the last call for prize donations--if you have some you have been meaning to drop off, please send them in by Tuesday, February 18th. With your help we have collected over 3,000 prizes!
- We already have almost 100 amazing volunteers committed to shifts that day, including almost 20 Lowell teachers and staff members and 50 middle and high school students. Believe it or not, that still leaves more than 30 shifts to fill, mostly during the actual event and mostly requiring an adult. Please consider giving of your time that evening. If you can help, please send your volunteer form in to the office or email Brigid Coleman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing all of you at Jamboree on Friday, February 28th, from 5:00-8:00 p.m.!
The Green Corner
At this month's Green Club meeting, participants learned about how even music can be green. They had the chance to try out some real musical instruments made almost wholly of recycled materials and also watched a short film about an entire orchestra of recycled-instrument musicians. This orchestra is comprised of children who live on a landfill in Paraguay and whose parents scavenge in the city dump to earn their living. To learn more about this uplifting and valuable program and how it uses recycling to change children's lives, go to landfillharmonicmovie.com.
Looking for the Class of 2027!
Mark your calendars, put on your spirit wear and join Lowell Elementary on Thursday, February 20th from 5-8 pm at Chic-fil-A Wheaton for our next Cook's Night Out!
Thursday, Feb. 20th, 5-8pm
301 E Loop Rd
This time our 3rd grade Brownie troops will be in charge of the prize-winning spinning wheel! Every dollar raised from this wheel goes directly to Lowell!
And we're also giving you yet another reason to attend! The class with the highest percentage of attendance will win a pajama party at school with the Chic-fil-A Cow making an appearance in their classroom with prizes for each student!
Help raise money for Lowell, while dining at a local restaurant that not only gives back to the community, but has great food and is a fun place to hang out with family and friends! See you all there!
who represented Lowell at the Wheaton Christian Grammar School
Chess Tournament on February 8th 2014:
- Nikhil Cowart
- Aidan Flanagan
- Gabrielle Horn
- Jacob Horn
- Emma Johnson
- Will Johnson
- Colin Koprowski
- Peter Lange
- Charlie Letizia
- Harry Lewellyan
- Ben Neumann
- Jordan Winter
The kids were wonderful. We were up against over 27 teams in the K-5th grade division. The Lowell team demonstrated team work, skills and perseverance, and had an impressive day:
- Lowell, Outstanding 6th place (Team category)
- Jacob Horn, Outstanding 2nd place - (4th-5th grade category)
They all a fantastic job and deserved their big wins.
Important Traffic & Parking Reminders
In particular, please note:
Keeping Driveways Clear- Please do not block the driveways on Willow if the pick-up line extends beyond the pick-up/drop-off zone. It is important that we are good neighbors and do not compromise people's access to their homes. In addition, tickets may be issued if police observe this practice.
Willow Parking Restrictions- Please be alert to parking restriction signs in the Lowell area. Wheaton Police and city engineering continue to monitor and make adjustments to ensure safety and smooth traffic flow.
Cut-Out on Illinois- Please only use this for a.m. kindergarten pick-up, p.m. kindergarten drop-off, picking up sick children, and dropping off items that will take under 5 minutes. Please do not stop with your car outside of the cut-out for safety and traffic flow purposes.
Drop-off & Pick-up Zone on Willow - Students should only leave and load vehicles in the fenced in lane for safety. Please do not let students out of cards outside of that area on Willow.
Thank you again for your understanding and cooperation!
Emergency Closing Information
2013-14 PTA Meetings
- Friday, February 21st- 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, March 20th- 7 p.m.
- Friday, April 11th- 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, May 15th- 7 p.m.
- All Thursday evening meetings will be held in the LLC.
- All Friday morning meetings will be held in the Art Room.
- Free babysitting is available at each meeting.