Welcome to Biology Fall 2014
A step-by-step guide to starting the GAVS semester!
Welcome to Georgia Virtual School!
The information included in this newsletter will guide your student to helpful resources as well as steps to take as they begin in this course. If you are new to the online environment, I am here to help you through this transition. In the online world (much like a face-to-face school setting), success is achieved through common effort of student, teacher and parent. As you encounter questions starting and working through the course, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am here and available for each of you.
Please scroll down and work through the steps that follow to start your course on time.
Step 1: Complete the SOC (Student Orientation Course)
The following items are required for the completion of the Student Orientation Course (SOC):
- students complete all sign off
- students complete all agreement quizzes
- students make a 100% on the final Student Orientation Quiz.
- Students may choose to opt out of the Student Orientation Course*; however, students who elect to opt out of the Student Orientation Course are still responsible for all content presented in the course.
*Only those students who have taken the SOC previously are able to "opt out"
Students must finish or opt out of the SOC before gaining access to the course.
Following successful completion of the SOC, the date on which students will gain access to the course is dependent upon which schedule was selected at the time of registration.
...once you are in the course ...
Step 2: Students Should Link Google Account
1. Locate the Access Google Apps widget located on the right side below the classroom bulletin board.
2. Click "Link to your Google Apps account" and enter the password you use to log into GaVS.
3. Done. Your email address is GaVSusername@gavirtualschool.org.
Step 3: Print out your Schedule & Get Started!
Please watch these two short tutorials to (1) help you navigate the course and (2) understand how to use your schedule. Click and watch as many times as necessary.
Click below to learn how to ensure you are submitting assignments properly:
What if my work is late?
other helpful items
Student Code of Conduct: GAVS Plagiarism Policy
Unless your teacher expressly states otherwise, all work must be original and entirely the student's own work without any outside help which includes other students, parents, textbooks, internet or any other outside source. Assignments that require documentation and/or references must adhere to guidelines presented by the teacher. When in doubt, clarify with your teacher before beginning an assignment or submitting it.
Do not copy and paste information from the internet.
Biology Synchronous Sessions: Our Online Classroom
I will conduct a synchronous class with students:
- Mondays at 7 pm EST
All sessions are announced on the Course Homepage with a link to join the session.
I strongly encourage you to make the Biology Learning Lounge sessions a part of your weekly routine to boost your potential for success in this course, and better reach your goal.
- Please note that GaVS teachers cannot make accommodations without a copy of the plan on file.
- A copy of the plan must be submitted EACH semester.
Important Parent Information
If you already have a parent account please do NOT create a new one.
1) Please check to see that your parent account is linked to your student’s account.
2) For more information click Help on the Log in page or click the following link. Link Child to Parent Account
If you are uncertain about whether you have a parent account or not,
1) Log in to GAVS at www.gavirtualschool.org and at the Log In page type in your username and password.
2) For more information click Help at the top of the Log In page or click the following link.
*Information for parents who have NEVER created a parent account.
1) Login to our website www.gavirtualschool.org
2) Click the “Log In To GAVS” icon
3) Click “Create An Account” from the navigation bar.
4) You will need to know your child’s GTID and date of birth.
5) Please follow the directions on the screen.
6) Be sure you have linked your parent account to your student’s account.
7) For more information simply click HELP at the top of the Log In page or click the following link.
Help articles are available to show how to use your parent auditor account.
D2L Help Sessions for Students and Parents:
- Tuesday, August 5 at 11AM
- Thursday, August 7 at 7PM
- Tuesday, August 19 at 11AM
- Thursday, August 21 at 7PM
- Tuesday, September 2 at 11AM
- Thursday, September 4 at 7PM
- Tuesday, September 16 at 7PM
Where: This is an online event in the Adobe D2L Help Classroom.
You will join by entering the meeting as a Guest. Your username is your first and last name.
The space for each session is limited. We ask everyone to join the session using only ONE computer at your home. If the session is full, the recording will be posted within the learning management system and you will have an opportunity to review the recording OR attend another upcoming meeting. The schoolwide D2L meetings are separate from individual Welcome sessions held by each teacher. Please plan to attend the meeting with your teacher as well. Your teacher will notify you about the date of that meeting.
Where Can I Go To Find answers to other questions?
Click here to use the GAVS Helpdesk/Knowledgebase!
2. Look within the news announcements (in the Course) or other communication from me.
3. Familiarize yourself with the Fall 2014 Student Handbook and it's policies.
4. Feel free to contact me directly via phone or email.
Please do not hesitate to contact me. I aim to help you reach your goals for success in this class, and we can't do that without communicating. I enjoy answering your questions!
I am available weekdays 10am-8pm EST. Email and phone calls are answered within 24 hours on school days. If you call, please be sure to leave a message.