By Conner Mann
Election of Reagan
- Ronald Reagan ran as a Republican in the Presidential Election of 1980
- Ronald Reagan ran against the Incumbent Jimmy Carter.
- Reagan supported minorities and elitism of arrogant bureaucrats and condemned federal intervention in local affairs.
- Reagan won 489 Electoral Votes to the 49 votes gained by Jimmy Carter.
- Ronald Reagan ran again in 1984 against Walter Mondale
- Reagan won 525-13 Electoral votes
Issues over the National Budget
- Reagan wanted to shrink the federal budget and cut taxes
- "Supply-side" economics would stimulate new investment, boost productivity, promote dramatic economic growth, and reduce the federal deficit.
- Massive military expenditures signaled the worst recession since the Great Depression