Syphilis and Pregnancy
By: Ruby Ramirez-7
It is a contagious infection caused by Treponema Pallidum and is primarily passed through sexual contact. Congenital Syphilis results through placement transmission of bacteria to the baby.
- Develops painful papule, get sores that are clean, painless like cancer sores located on the genitals
- A few weeks later the sores should start to fade and begin to get rashes that could cover the entire body
- Symptoms may start to fade after many years
- After that stage you enter a late stage of syphilis, may cause to experience neurological symptoms, cardiovascular lesions.
- Mother: Miscarriage towards the baby
- Baby: Still birth, congenitals syphilis which can result in mental and physical problems
- Mother and baby: Antibiotics approved by OB/ GYN can be given to prevent damage to the fetus