Lincoln Crossing Colt Connection
Sunday, April 22, 2018
LCES United: Together We Are More!
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
Last week was a whirlwind, and we appreciate all the families who came out and supported our students and classes by attending StarStruck! We hope you had fun! On an aside, I'm trying to figure out the AC!
This week will start some of our students on a new adventure. Some of our classes (grades 3-5) will be starting their CA Assessments of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) this week. Grades 3-5 will take the Smarter Balanced assessments (SBAC) in ELA and Math, and Grade 5 will also take the CA Science Test (CAST) and the Physical Fitness Test (PFT).
The CA Department of Education has put together a comprehensive parent guide to help families understand the structure and purpose of the assessments. These assessments are just one measure of how students are progressing, but they are important to us as a data gathering tool, and the outcomes of them are used in our school dashboard.
You can help us ensure your child is prepared to do his/her best each day on the assessments by:
- ensuring your child gets adequate sleep each night
- giving your child a filling and healthy breakfast each morning and sending him/her to school with a health snack and lunch
- ensuring your child arrives on time to school
- talking with your child about how it is important that he does his best and takes his time on the assessment
We are doing our best to ensure your child is ready to do his/her best by:
- ensuring we've covered the essential standards in the areas of assessment
- previewing the assessments with the children through practice tests
- helping them understand all the tools embedded in the assessment that help them be more successful
- ensuring that the assessment environment allows each child to focus
- not creating an artificial time limit for the tests (individual testing sessions might be limited by lunch or another factor, but a student can come back to the assessments as needed until she is done)
If you have any questions about the assessment, please let your teacher know.
The Great Kindness Challenge is Here!
Each year, our Leadership Ambassadors, guided by Mrs. Adams, put together a week to remember that "when you are kind to others, it not only changes you, it changes the world," (Harry Kushner). We will have a kick off assembly on Monday morning and each day we'll take a moment to actively work on and celebrate acts of kindness. To keep the week fun and in the spirit of kindness, our LA's have a full week of dress up days organized:
- Monday: "Galaxy Day" - Kindness is out of this world.
- Tuesday: "Wild about Kindness" - Dress up like your favorite animal
- Wednesday: "Global Kindness Day" - Dress up like you are from another country.
- Thursday: "Kind Celebrity or Hero Day" - Dress up like a celebrity or hero who is kind.
- Friday: Share the love day - each class will wear a specific color (TBA)
You can keep the challenge up at home by working on some of these family oriented acts of kindness before/after school!
8th Annual LCES Talent Show & PTC BBQ
- Mon., 4/23: Early Release Day
- Week of 4/23: Great Kindness Challenge
- Mon., 4/23: Dress Up Day - "Galaxy Day" - Kindness is out of this world.
- Tues., 4/24: Dress Up Day - "Wild about Kindness" - Dress up like your favorite animal
- Wed., 4/25: Dress Up Day - "Global Kindness Day" - Dress up like you are from another country.
- Thurs., 4/26: Dress Up Day - "Kind Celebrity or Hero Day" - Dress up like a celebrity or hero who is kind.
- Fri., 4/27: Dress Up Day - "Share the love day" - each class will wear a specific color (TBA)
- 4/23-5/18: LCES SBAC testing window for grades 3-5; more info will come from your teacher about exact testing days for your child's class
- Month of May: Better Speech and Hearing Month
- Tues., 5/1, 3 pm: Volunteer Thank You Celebration
- Thurs., 5/3: Tentative date for 5th grade Science CAST assessment
- Fri., 5/4: LCE Spirit Day - Superhero Day & May the Force/Fourth Be With You!
- Week of 5/7: Staff Appreciation Week
- Week of 5/14: Spring Book Fair
- Thurs., 5/17: Open House
- Fri., 5/18: All Kinder Field Trip - all Kinders attend from 8-12:30 pm (note the later pick up time!)
- Thurs., 5/24: Annual Talent Show & PTC BBQ
- Mon., 5/28: No School - Memorial Day
- Tues., 5/29-Fri., 6/1: 5th Grade Fort Bragg Trip
- Wed., 5/30 OR Thurs., 5/31 (TBD): LHS Senior Parade!
- Fri., 6/1: Dress Up Day - Hawaiian Day
- Week of 6/4-6/7: Early Release Week (1:40 dismissal for grades 1-5; ER Monday schedule for K)
- Mon., 6/4: End of Semester 2 Awards Ceremonies
- Tues. 6/5: Election Day - the LCE MPR will be used all day/evening
- Wed., 6/6: 5th grade Awards & Breakfast
- Thurs., 6/7: Kinder End of Year Celebration & Last Day of School!
Upcoming Non-School Days, 18/19 & 19/20 Calendars
- Monday, May 28th (Memorial Day)
- Friday, June 8th (first day of summer break!)
The school district has published our calendars for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 years! If you are planning out vacations, consult the school calendars here.
AM Kinder: 8 - 11:20 am PM Kinder: 10:20 am -1:40 pm Grades 1-5: 8:15 am - 1:40 pm (supervision provided for students from 1:40-2 pm)
Click for more information about school meal pricing and breakfast and lunch menus. You can also access My School Bucks to add to your child's lunch balance and submit an online application for free/reduced meals.