February 26th-March 2nd
Message from Mission Control
* Thanks to Sunshine Committee for organizing the ice cream social last week, and thanks to everyone for their participation! It definitely makes the end of the week that much more gratifying when you have treats to look forward to!
* Shout out to Vicki, Laura Lee, and Bobby for all the hard work and time they put in last Thursday, when the Lion King cast performed at Bass Hall. The kids did an AMAZING job, and I had SO many people compliment the performance. Thanks so much to Vicki for all of her hard work and to Laura Lee and Bobby who helped chaperone the kids that day! It's an amazing event that EMS-ISD puts on each year, and it was a lot of fun to see all the different campuses perform.
* PTA is having spirit night at Panda Express next Tuesday. They will be sending a flyer home this Friday, but please advertise in your newsletters, FB pages, etc.
* TELPAS testing is taking place this week in the computer lab. Make sure to look at the grade level schedules that Bobby emailed out with the specific times. Thanks so much for your flexibility and cooperation, as we get these students tested.
*Grade Book checks will take place this week. Make sure you have your grades up to date in Skyward.
* Emily will be training 3rd-5th grade teachers next week during their extended block on the online STAAR test. More and more of our students are now taking the test online, so it's important we all learn about the test and what it has to offer.
* Read Across America day is THIS Friday. I will be visiting classes to read a Dr. Seuss book, so make sure to sign up on the One Note page if you would like me to visit. I don't have a particular book, so if you have one you would like me to read, let me know. I'm flexible!
* STAAR training is next Monday, March 5th. Please do not schedule dr appts or tutoring/etc. on that afternoon. Thanks so much!!
This year, we will be implementing our GE life principles during announcements, as well as having the opportunity for kids to respond using the white interactive papers in the hallway (formerly used for vocabulary).
Each life principle will be talked about during a 1 week period. You will be getting the schedule sent this week, and it will also be posted on the One Note staff portal. We will discuss on announcements, and students will have the opportunity to write (or draw) how they show this life principle. For example, the first one is self discipline. They can write on the paper how they show or can use self discipline. This will require thinking and application... so it brings in the higher levels. We will talk about the expectations of how this will be used on the announcements, so the students are familiar with what is acceptable.
Just as the vocabulary has been done in the past, the life principles will remain posted on the wall, so that the students can see them and refer back to them. The Elk of the Month will be chosen based on the life principles that have been discussed for the month. Each student chosen will not have to demonstrate ALL of the life principles, but one or more.
This week, our life principle is:
Courage- strength to act even when afraid or uncertain
DATES TO REMEMBER
Thursday, March 1st:
Kori off campus at training
Friday, March 2nd:
Dr. Suess' Birthday
Kinder Field trip to Zoo
Monday, March 5th:
STAAR Training (ALL STAFF MUST ATTEND)
Tuesday, March 6th:
1st Grade Field Trip (Seaquest Aquarium)
PTA Spirit Night at Panda Express
Thursday, March 8th:
Math/Science Night 6:00 pm
Tuesday, March 20th:
6th Grade Parent Night at Middle School @ 6:00 pm
Wednesday, March 21st:
Lion King Performance @ 6:00 pm
Thursday, March 29th:
3rd Grade Field trip to Medieval Times
Kori off campus at training
Report cards sent home
Friday, March 30th:
Bad Weather Day (NO SCHOOL)