15th president of the united states
James Buchanan Early life
- James Buchanan was born in a log cabin in Cove Gap,Pennsylvania in Franklin county, on April 23, 1791
- Buchanan's father having emigrated from Donegal, Ireland, in 1783. Buchanan had six sisters and four brothers.
- In 1797, the family moved to nearby Mercursburg Pennsylvania.
- Buchanan attended the village academy (Old Stone Academy) and later Dickinson college in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
- Later that year, he moved to Lancaster, where he studied law.
- as a man of law opposed the War of 1812 because he believed it was an unnecessary conflict.
- Despite his initial opposition to the war, When the British invaded neighboring Maryland, he joined as a private and served in the defense of Baltimore.
- Buchanan is the only president with military experience who did not, at some point, serve as an officer.