Mayor Andy Betterton
November 23, 2021
In honor of the Thanksgiving Holiday, Florence Municipal Offices will be closed on Thursday, November 25, 2021 & Friday, November 26, 2021.
Thursday and Friday's Garbage & Recycling Collection Will Be Delayed
November 25, Thursday - Thanksgiving Day – No Collection
Tuesday and Wednesday – No change
Thursday pickup will be Friday
Friday pickup will be Saturday
Monday morning, The Florence Beautification Board placed a 15-foot Fraser Fir on the North Court Street Median.
The Florence Street Department assisted in the transportation and installation of the tree. The official lighting will take place at 4:30 p.m. Dec. 3 at the North Court Street median, followed at 5 p.m. by the "Every Light a Prayer for Peace" program at Pope's Tavern, and 6 p.m. for the lighting of Wilson Park. The picture includes Scott Townsend, Brenda Tease, David Doroh.
Keep Florence Beautiful Caught The First Recycle Right Winners!
Rodney Thompson and his daughter, Erin, are the first winners in the Recycle Right Contest! Florence Recycling, Keep Florence Beautiful, and @Rosie'sMexicanCantina-Florence joined forces to focus on recycling right during the holiday season. We couldn't have found better recyclers than Rodney and Erin, who work hard to know what goes in their recycle cart and make sure that they have their cart out every time it's full!
The contest will continue through the week of December 21st. All you have to do is have your cart on the curb on your garbage/recycling collection day, and if your address is randomly drawn and you have recycled right, you win!
Florence-Lauderdale Public Library
FLORENCE IN 1901
In 1901, Mayor John B. Weakley formalized the Code of Ordinances for the City of Florence, and the document was authorized and published by the Board of Aldermen (today’s City Council). Among the ordinances were these as recorded in chapter 26 of the document:
1. Section 267. Signal of Contagious Disease to be Displayed. Whenever the health officer shall be satisfied that any case of diphtheria, scarlet fever, smallpox, cholera or yellow fever exists in any home in the city limits, he shall at once cause to be displayed in some conspicuous place on the premises a yellow flag with the name of the disease stated thereon. And the health officer shall institute such other measures as in his judgment may be necessary to prevent the spread of such diseases.
2. Section 270. The Mayor May Establish Quarantine. The Mayor, whenever he may deem it necessary for the health of the city, and whenever so instructed by the Board of Aldermen, must establish and put in force a quarantine against such places and persons as the Board of Aldermen may deem necessary to prevent the importation or spread of any contagious or infectious disease, and he shall have power and authority to employ the necessary officers and agents for the efficient enforcement of the quarantine.
3. Section 279. Persons Must Give True Answers as to Vaccination. When any officer of the City shall inquire of any person whether he or she has been vaccinated effectually, and if so, when and by whom, it shall be the duty of such person to answer truly the question so propounded by such officer.
Quite interesting, right?
--Billy Warren, City Historian
The City of Florence offers a generous, defined benefit plan (pension plan), BCBS insurance plan, employee & family health clinic, paid annual & sick leave, and so much more.
Auto Equipment Maintenance Mechanic Street Dept. New
- Street Department 201 Railroad Avenue Florence
- Full Time - $32,456.27 - $43,201.50 Annually
- Category: Vehicle Maintenance / Miscellaneous / Maintenance
- Department: Street
- Police Department 702 South Court Street Florence
- Full Time - $32,456.27 - $43,201.50 Annually
- Category: Public Safety / Telecommunications / Miscellaneous / 911 Telecommunications / Communications
- Department: Police
Customer Service Representative New
- Utilities Customer Service Ste 106 Municipal Building Florence
- Full Time - $35,541.93 - $47,308.75 Annually
- Category: Miscellaneous / Utilities / Customer Service
- Department: Utilities
- Animal Services 3240 Roberson Rd. Florence
- Full Time - $29,651.11 - $39,467.66 Annually
- Category: Miscellaneous / Animal Control / Animal Services / Office and Administrative Support
- Department: Animal Control
A little laugh...
How to Submit Your Event, News, or Announcement:
- Public and community events or announcements can be in an email, Word document, PDF, or JPG file suitable for viewing on the web. Include graphics in JPG or PNG if possible.
- Along with your information, include your name, phone number, event name, location, date and time, and a brief description.
- IMPORTANT: Please submit your information no later than Tuesday of each week (preferably sooner). Submissions after the deadline will be added to the next week's publication. The newsletter is posted on Thursday afternoon.
- Send your information to email@example.com or call Rachel Koonce with questions at 256-760-6494.