News from your North Beach PTA
August 4, 2020
Key Dates for Seattle Public Schools Fall Plans
Dear North Beach Families,
We know the uncertainty around the upcoming school year is stressful. Given this, we would like to make families aware of the following meetings and events that we expect will provide additional information and/or influence the outcome of SPS fall plans. To help us support equitable and inclusive opportunities for all North Beach families, please consider this timeline of events when making your personal plans for this fall. Our current understanding is that the Board of Directors for Seattle Public Schools will vote on a final plan on Wednesday, August 12th. Please read below for further details and opportunities to provide feedback.
- Today, Tuesday, August 4th, Superintendent Juneau will be sharing the latest planning updates for the 2020-21 school year and may be releasing the District's plan.
- Join the Virtual Town Hall Meeting today, Tuesday, August 4th at 4:30 - 5:00 PM via Facebook
- Or on Twitter by following the hashtag: #SPSConnects
- Of note, we are told that the A/B schedule previously proposed is no longer considered an option for this fall. Superintendent Juneau has said that she recommends 100% distance learning. Several School Board Directors have advocated for planning to include childcare and learning supports, working with community-based partners, and possibly, when it is safe to do so, adding an outdoor face-to-face option.
- On Wednesday, August 5th, the Board of Directors for Seattle Public Schools will meet for a Special Work Session Board Meeting. At this meeting, plan documents will be presented to the Board by SPS Staff.
- Join the Work Session: 2020 Reopening Plan on Wednesday, August 5th, 12:30 - 3:30 PM
- By Teleconference: +1 206-800-4125 (Conference ID: 785 326 38#)
- The agenda for the meeting is here.
- Of note, our understanding is that the Board will not be voting on plans at this meeting, but will be voting the following week at the Regular Board Meeting on August 12th. We will have a short time to share our thoughts with the Board of Directors for SPS.
- On Wednesday, August 12th, the Seattle Public Schools Board of Directors will vote on Superintendent Juneau's recommendation to start remotely this fall during the Board Meeting on Wednesday, August 12th.
- Meeting agendas are posted at least 24 hours in advance of the meeting.
- Of note, any decisions before a Board of Directors vote are not signed off/official.
If you have any feedback or questions, please email the Communications at email@example.com
The North Beach PTA
Article submissions for this newsletter are due by 5:00pm Wednesdays. Please send articles to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Beachcomber is brought to you by your North Beach Elementary PTA.