Mr. Nielsen's Wildcat Newsletter
Madrona News: Saturday, October 1, 2022
Madrona Counselor - Emily Lujan
No School - October 5th
Virtual Parenting Classes - Mondays Oct 10 through Nov 14- (5-6pm)
Sponsored by TUSD Building Bridges!
For Parents of Teens & Tweens', you will learn:
- Methods of respectful discipline
- Skills for clear, honest communication
- Specific strategies to prevent risky behavior
- How to be supportive and encouraging
- Insight into important issues such as bullying, depression, social media
Free Tutoring - Help Now by Torrance Library
HelpNow's features include:
- Homework Help Interact with live tutors in math, science, reading/writing, social studies, PSAT/SAT, ACT, AP and state standardized tests.
- Skills Building Choose state-aligned lesson and get real-time help.
- Personalized eLearning Tools My File Sharing, My Session Replay, My Tutoring Archive, My Tests Archive, and more!
- 24-Hour Writing Lab Submit essays and other forms of writing for constructive feedback.
- Homework Send Question Submit homework questions for expert guidance.
- Adult Learning Center Access a library of rich adult learning content (GED) and live, professional assistance in resume/cover letter writing, U.S. citizenship prep, MS Office Essential Skills Series, and more!
- Foreign Language Lab /Spanish-Speaking Support
Feel free to pass on to any parents/students you think would be interested. Here is the link.
YEARBOOK ORDER INFO - $35 low price before October 31
- Yearbooks and "commemorative ads" are all pre-order online only.
- No refunds for duplicate/multiple orders).
- Please designate one person in your family to purchase on line and keep your receipt.
- ORDERING INFO LINK HERE
- Books are for sale ONLY thru March 30, price increases after October 31.
We need parents to help make our 8th grade picnic and dance special! Please click above to volunteer!
Madrona Soccer Schedule
Thurs, October 13th - Calle Mayor @ Madrona: Boys at 4pm; Girls at 5pm
Thurs, October 20th - Madrona @ Jefferson: Girls at 4pm; Boys at 5pm
Thurs, October 27th - Bert Lynn @ Madrona: Boys at 4pm; Girls at 5pm
TBD - Madrona vs. Hull @ THS: Girls at 6pm; Boys at 7pm
Please click here to support Madrona Middle School's PTSA! A link to the donation form is below.
Friendship Walk Challenge!
Skechers Friendship Walk is Madrona's only direct fundraiser for the year.
Team Madrona Wildcats will receive an additional funds if the first TUSD middle (from 9-13-10/1) with 100 virtual walkers. All funds will help with school projects and classroom needs.
Make sure to CLICK THE JOIN TEAM BUTTON HERE
How your student's 4th period class receives credit:
Either forward your confirmation to email@example.com OR SIMPLY include the name of the student or teacher in your registration, so their class receives credit. For instance - if your neighbor or family member joins our team, do so as: Jane Jones (for student Jill James).
(Donations do not count towards this contest).
clubs & Activities on Campus!
CJSF (California Junior Scholarship Federation) –Advisor, Mrs. Ton
For 8th grade only at this time. Applications available in room SC3 only and DUE September 28 to Mrs. Ton, in SC3. (7th grade will be able to apply in the Spring semester.
Esports –Advisor, Mrs. Ton
Esports tryouts Monday September 26 through Wednesday September 28 in room 29 during lunch. Practices are ONLY Tuesdays at lunch in Room 29. Match play Tuesday’s after school 3:30 – 4:40.
Project Growth (aka Gardening Club – Advisor, Mr. Estefan
Meetings are Wednesday’s at lunch, Rm 22. This club works to plan, assess, build, and maintain one or more native plant gardens(s).
Chess Club –Advisor, Mrs. Bloomfield
Begins October 12. Meets Wednesday’s at Lunch and open to all– drop on in – Room 14.
Ultimate Frisbee – Advisor, Mr. Freitas
Wednesdays at Lunch on the Field
Cinema Club – Advisor, Mr. Snow
Begins Thursday, September 29. Meets Thursday and Friday at lunchtime in room 25. Watch wonderful films across all genres and eras. All film and popcorn enthusiasts are welcome!
Math Club – Advisor, Mr. Khan
Meets Thursday’s 3:30 – 4:30 in Room 24. Madrona Alumni from Torrance High School will also be on hand to help with math fun!
Art Club – Advisor, Mr. Heussenstamm
Meets Thursday’s 3:30 – 4:30 in Room 26. A student-driven club. Student decide the direction. No previous art experience necessary.
Support Madrona - Ralphs Community Donations
- Top Class - Dr. Torres P1 = 11,324 min
- Top Reader - Week 3 = Abigail Kim = 510 min
- All Readers in three weeks = 40,150 min
Way to go:
- Mrs. Miskimen: Mrs. Miskimen's Super Science Students who scored a 100% on Safety Procedure Quiz: Kyra Castrillon, Milena De Melo Muller, Kei Nakanishi, Matthew Park, and Lucille Rondeau. And to my other 28 students(too many to type) who only missed 1. Way to go!
- Mrs. Ton: Thank you to all the students that attended the eSport Tryout for Smash Bro.
We are finalizing our team and will have our first match against Hull on October 11.
- Mrs. Ton: Thank you for all the 8th grade students that applied for CJSF. Notices will go out next week and our first meeting will take place October 4, 2022.
- Mrs. Ton: Thank you to my amazing 4th period Robotics Class! We have 100% of the class signed up for the Skecher's Walk! Thank you for supporting our school!
- Mrs. Brown: Jaihe Nichols- was successful and responsible in sending information home in a timely manner and returning it in a timely manner too.
- Mr. H: Shout out to Fifi Kuti for asking great questions while working on her dreams essay. Well done!
- Mrs. Snider: Thank you to Advanced Band students for facilitating a great Instrument Petting Zoo on Wednesday. Shout out to the Madrona Choir for singing the National Anthem at Friday's Angel Game. Bravo tutti!
- Mrs. Miskimen: Thank you Evan Garrison for donating graham crackers for our upcoming solar oven S'mores lab. Miskimens' top mile runners for period 2 on 9/29: Alex Anguaino (7:04), Shuya Araki (8:20), Leo Furuta(8:25), Jaxon Gerszewski (8:42), Liam Guba (7:54). Congrats to increasing you mile times. Almost everyone is under 14 minutes. Keep it up.
- Mrs. Wulpern: Thank you to Gavin Thayer, Alfonso Tarula, and Dante Pascual for helping me out in the classroom!!!
- Mr. Nielsen wants to give a shout out to Gavin Thayer for going out of his way to teach another student how to grip a baseball bat. Gavin's moment was during an intense Hawaiian baseball game at lunch. Shout out also to Brittany Serrano and Calvin Shieh and the rest of their group for their great work in organizing a very fun game!