We Are Together Tamanend!
November 22, 2019
Happy Thanksgiving From Tamanend
Congratulations to all Tamanend families and staff for another very successful Thanksgiving Dinner Box project! Under the leadership of 9th grade volunteers from National Junior Honor Society, the 7th and 8th grade Advisories were able to provide turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, assorted vegetables, fruit, and dessert plus additional food items for 14 complete Thanksgiving meals. The food contributed filled over 30 large boxes! In addition, students in Mrs. Gamble’s Advisory and Ms. Nagle’s Advisory created decorative Thanksgiving messages to include in the boxes. All of the meals will go to families in the community in need of assistance at this time. Thank you for supporting our effort to help make this Thanksgiving a special holiday for all families in the Tamanend community. Best wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving.
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
7th Grade Greco-Roman Day--Tuesday November 26
Thanksgiving Break--Wednesday, November 27 to Friday, November 29
Freshman Dance Committee Meeting (open to parents of students in any grade)--Monday December 2 at 6:30 PM in Cafeteria
8th Grade Field Trip--Thursday December 5
Winter Concert Preview Assembly--Friday December 6 (during school)
- 7th Grade Girls Basketball @ Holicong (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
Tuesday, 11/26 through Friday, 11/29
- No contests
- HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
- No contests
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball vs. Newtown (Home; 3:15)
- 7th Grade Girls Basketball vs. Tohickon (Home; 3:15); scoreboard
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball @ Holland (Away; 3:30); bus leaves at 2:20
- 7th Grade Girls Basketball @ Lenape (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- No contests
CB South Ice Hockey
- There will be an informational meeting for those 7th and 8th Grade boys interested in playing basketball for Tamanend on Friday, December 13th during Advisory in the Auditorium. If you are interested but cannot attend the meeting, please contact Mr. Klein.
- Tamanend Athletics has a new web site: https://tamanendathletics.com/. Students and parents are encouraged to register as “Fans” for their teams which will allow you to receive immediate notifications when games are changed or cancelled. Simply click on “GET ALERTS” to add your favorite teams, then choose how you want to receive notifications. Please see the image below for additional information.
- ATTENTION WINTER ATHLETES: If you are interested in participating in BOYS BASKETBALL, there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of the season. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page which can be found HERE.
- If students plan to stay after school on game days, they must be at the field and not walking around or leaving campus. If students are not where they are supposed to be, they will not be permitted to attend future games. Thank you for your cooperation.
FROM CB SOUTH:
There will be an informational meeting for any girl Grades 9 through 12 interested in trying out for Girls Lacrosse this spring at CB South. The meeting is Tuesday, November 26th at 3:00pm in Room D205.
- A player-parent interest meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 4th at 7:00pm in the Forum room at CB South for any student-athlete interested in playing baseball for CB South.
- If you are interested in attending CB South’s A and/or AAA ice hockey games, please see the schedules included in this newsletter.
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--Hat and Glove/Mitten Collection--November 4--November 22
Reminder--Next Tamanend Parent Book Club is January 9
Reminder--Help Us Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Kelly Ann Dolan Basketball Tournament
National Family and Consumer Sciences' Dine In Day is December 3
Tuesday, December 3 is National Family and Consumer Sciences’ Dine In Day. With so many families running busy lives it can be difficult to sit down together for healthy meals. National Dine In Day was created to remind us of the importance of taking the time to sit together and eat a balanced meal at home. Research shows there are many benefits to having family meals; healthychildren.org reports that among other benefits, family meals teach healthy food choices, and improves social-emotional health.
Please consider being part of the FCS National Dine In day on December 3.
For more information visit https://www.aafcs.org/fcsday/fcs-day-resources/fcs-day-articles
Tamanend Family and Consumer Science (FCS) Department
#SouthSide STEM Nature Walk
At our most recent meeting, #SouthSide STEM Club members went on a Nature Walk to collect sticks and then used hand tools, power tools, and good old fashion muscle power to create homemade stick pencils that should be hard to lose and last the school year!
November Boomerang Youth Recognition
Reminder--Tamanend Homework Club
If your child is looking for a quiet place to complete their homework or a place to receive extra support with a challenging assignment and/or prepping for a test, the Homework Club is the place for him or her. The Homework Club at Tamanend Middle School will be held in the Cafeteria on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 until 4:00. Peer tutoring will also be offered for students that are interested. The goal of the Tamanend Homework Club is to assist our students in tapping into their full potential by giving them a quiet, supportive place to complete their homework.
STUDENT COUNCIL CORNER
Mini-Spirit Week--Monday 11/25 & Tuesday 11/26
As we look ahead to Thanksgiving, Student Council is extremely thankful to have such wonderful students on our team, serving as officers and Resource Representatives. We are equally thankful of our amazing staff who supports us all year long! To show our gratitude, Student Council is sponsoring a Thanksgiving mini-spirit week. Monday 11/25 is Fall Colors day! Wear your best yellow, gold, brown, red, and/or orange on this colorful day! Tuesday 11/26 is College Day! Wear you favorite college and/or college team gear to school on Tuesday!
STUDENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (SAP)
Help is Down the Hall
The Tamanend Student Assistance Program (SAP) Team is a group of trained faculty members who can connect students with appropriate help and resources if they show signs of struggling with mental health concerns or alcohol/substance use. If you notice concerns such as major changes in behavior or mood, drop in achievement, or use of drugs or alcohol, then you may consider a SAP referral. When the team receives a referral, we gather more information to determine if there is a need for intervention and further assessment. The information is confidential, and the process is for the purpose of offering help. Anyone can refer a student about whom they are concerned. Referrals can be made at this referral link or by contacting a SAP team member:
Mrs. Barlow, Mrs. Cammann, Sra. Corsino, Mr. Dudley, Mr. Heisey,
Mr. Klein, Mrs. Myrtetus, Ms. Scheffey, & Mrs. Szagola
What is Teen Talk? Each week, we will include a resource in our newsletter designed to promote conversations between parents and children regarding important issues related to teenagers. We hope that these resources serve to help parents and students navigate the excitement and challenges associated with the teenage years. In addition, we will highlight topics that we are discussing in Advisory and in presentations so that you may continue the conversation at home with your teen.
This Week's Teen Talk Topic: Knowing Where to Go for Help
It's important to talk to teens to make sure they know where to go for help if they are struggling with an issue. Please see our "Help is Down the Hall" article above which explains what the Student Assistance Program is and who serves on our team. In addition, students should know that they can always come to our Guidance counselors (Mr. Klein and Mrs. Cammann), our Assistant Principal (Mr. Dudley), our Principal (Dr. Caughie), or our Nurse (Mrs. Myrtetus) with any concerns. They should also know that it is important to let their classroom teacher know if they are struggling with academic content and that Mrs. Marsh is available to help all students after school at Homework Club on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30--4:00 in the Cafeteria.
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Reminder--One School, One Book
Starting this summer, we will be engaging the Tamanend community in a One School, One Book program. A committee of teachers, librarians, and administrators worked for a year to choose a book that would appeal to our entire school community. We are pleased to announce that we will be reading Posted by John David Anderson. We encourage all of next year’s Tamanend students to read this book over the summer. We are planning a variety of activities throughout the 19-20 school year to engage all members of the Tamanend community in discussions related to this book.
Click here to hear Posted author John David Anderson talk about this book.
Click here for audio files of the book. Steps for downloading audio files to phones:
- Go to Tamanend’s website and scroll down to "School Links."
- Click the link "One Book, One School- Posted (Audiobook)."
- Log-In using your CBSD email account and password.
- Click the Play button and enjoy!
Tips for Troubleshooting Computer Issues
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Breakfast is Served!
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Reminder--Kindergarten Registration Opens November 19
Kindergarten registration begins on November 19! Families of new students who are eligible to enroll in kindergarten in the 2020-2021 school year are invited to begin the registration process. Get the details on eligibility, what documents to gather, and how to navigate the online registration process at www.cbsd.org/registration. We look forward to welcoming the class of 2032!
Reminder--Free YMCA Memberships for 7th Graders
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Reminder--FEAST--Feeding Everyone at Special Times
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Reminder--The Freshman Dance Committee is Looking for Volunteers
Calling all volunteers! If you’d like to play a role in one of the 9th Graders’ biggest nights, please attend the Freshman Dance Organizational Meeting, Monday, December 2nd at 6:30pm. Mr. Dudley will be holding a meeting in the Cafeteria to discuss logistics and planning for the 2020 Freshman Dance, which will be held on Friday, June 5th. It does not matter what grade(s) your children are in, we would greatly appreciate the help, from donations, to chaperoning, to helping to set-up. No need to reply or register, just show up! We hope to see you there.
Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Support Tamanend While You Shop
Please consider supporting TMS while you shop:
Giant Food Stores
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in box tops to the attention of NJHS.
Box Tops for Education
You can now simply scan your receipts to participate in the Box Tops 4 Education program to support Tamanend Middle School. Click on the link below to learn more:
You may also submit your receipts directly to Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office and we will scan them for you. Thank you for your support of our school.
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Jan. 16th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900