in South Africa
Apartheid caused major problems in South Africa when it was enforced and South Africa is still in fact facing repercussions. It suffocated South Africa’s culture, caused violence and promoted hate and discrimination. Apartheid negatively affected many lives and the after effects are still being dealt with. Apartheid was a system of racial segregation in South Africa enforced through legislation by the National Party. Apartheid in South Africa lasted from 1948 to 1994 but still has a presence today.
What can we do?
Everyone must remember the terrible things that happened during apartheid to ensure that they will never happen again. The issues that were caused by apartheid can hopefully be resolved and a new sense of community can continue to be built.
1. Was Nelson Mandela president?
2. It is important to remember what happened during apartheid.
3. What is one thing that African people could not participate in during apartheid?
4. People were organized into racial population groups.
5. Everyone could get a fair trial.
6. Education was separate but equal.
7. Everyone could apply for the same jobs.
8. Apartheid still affects South African life today.
9. An African person was more likely to be sentenced to prison for a crime than a white person
10. Police brutality was common during apartheid
“BBC News.” BBC News. BBC, n.d. Web. 3 Jun. 2015. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/africa/features/storyofafrica/12chapter7.shtml>
N.p., n.d. Web. 3 Jun. 2015. <http://scnc.ukzn.ac.za/doc/hist/apartheid legislation in south africa.htm>
“Apartheid.” History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 3 Jun. 2015. <http://www.history.com/topics/apartheid>
Hook, Derek. “(Post)Apartheid Conditions.” (2013): n. pag. Web.“Retrieving Biko.” (Post)apartheid Conditions (2013): n. pag. Web.