McKinley School Weekly Update
January 28th, 2024
Please remember to do the following prior to coming to school:
- Please screen your child for COVID symptoms before sending them to school (I wish Covid was completely over too)
- Wear a mask if you have been sick in the last 10 days or have been around someone who has been sick.
- If your child is feeling sick, please do not bring them to school, call the school and report the absence ext. 73091
Should you have questions, please contact our nurse and/or health clerk.
Lunar New Year!
As we enter the month of February, let's be mindful that we are also entering the celebration of Lunar New Year. The festival that is frequently referred to as ‘Chinese New Year’ is not only celebrated in China. The term ‘Lunar New Year’ is increasingly used to refer to festivals in other countries that take place at the same time and with many of the same traditions as in China. The terms are interchangeable when referring to celebrations in China and Chinese communities.
'Gong hei fat choy' | 恭喜发财
What does that mean? It's a common Cantonese Chinese New Year greeting that means wishing you prosperity and good fortune :)
Upcoming Meetings & Events
- Middle School Awards Assembly 10:00 AM
- Innovation Expo 6:00PM Celebration
- Talent Show @ 4:00 PM
- PCC Male Conference (PCC)
- HBCU College Expo (LA Convention Center)
- PTA Meeting In Person 6:00 PM Parent Room
- Lincoln's Birthday - No School
- Presidents' Day - No School
- Black History Parade
- African American History Bee
- Math Field Day
- African American Living Museum @ Jackie Robinson
did you know that many students at McKinley are competing in district and school wide competitions? That's correct, and I want to say thank you to all the students who will be competing in upcoming competitions, programs and parades:
STEAM Fair November 2023
Innovation Fair February 2nd
Spelling Bee January 24th
Martin L. King January 15th
Black History Parade February 17th
African American History Bee February 29th
Science Fest March 16th
Math Field Day March 23rd
Women's History Essay March 20th
Polkadot Play Spring 2024
Let's continue to cheer these students on to victory!