Things are Shaping Up
5.G.3 and 5.G.4
Using the Rectangle vs Parallelogram activity sheet carefully examine the two shapes and brainstorm their similarities and differences. Have a group discussion about the shapes attributes.
-Record thinking in the correspinding boxes on the activity sheet
-Work with a partner or small group to categorize the attributes you have listed on the activity sheet. Think: How can you group or categorize the shapes' attributes?
-Share ways with entire group
Things are Shaping Up Activity
Mentally manipulate the shapes and think about the following questions.
Something to think about...
Do you think it will be possible to transform the shape?
Will the rectangle retain its attribute?
Will the parallelogram retain its attribute?
-Record your predictions on the Things are Shaping Up activity sheet.
Use the following website to recreate the shapes listed on the top of the sheet. As you recreate each shape, you will need to record a brief description describing the process used.
-Share solutions with group
-Describe and record any challenges that you faced
Guarenteed to be enganging and thought provoking!
- What was the first attribute you noticed that was similar between the two shapes?
- What was the first attribute you noticed that was different between the two shapes?
- What attributes stayed tru to each shape even through the manipulation process (Things Shaping Up Activity)?
Please turn in written reponses to Mrs. Mulvey
- Create a Venn diagram to compare attributes of different quadrilaterals.
- What is the sum of the angles of a quadrilateral? Explain your thinking.