By Patrick Cur
- Prisoners in different buildings, called blocks
- Each block shared it's own bathrooms
- For a two story block designed to fit 700 prisoners, there were actually 1200
- Blocks were brick and had no reliable source of heating
- Prisoners had three-tier bunk beds
- The food rationed was based on work, but maxed out at around 1,700 calories.
- 10 hours per day were spent doing labor.
Important Figures of Auschwitz I
- SS Major Richard Baer - The last commander at Auschwitz I
- Kazimier Piechowski - One of very few prisoners who managed to successfully escape from Auschwitz
- SS Captain Dr. Josef Mengele - One of the most known SS Doctors in Auschwitz
Auschwitz II (Auschwitz-Birkenau)
- Rudolf Höss - Started the usage of gas chambers upon appointment.
- Heinrich Himmler - Issued decrees for camp expansion and upgrades, including bigger barracks.