Performance-enhancing Drugs: Steroids
What He Used
Alex Rodriguez used steroids. Steroids are used to build muscle, enhance performance, and improve appearance. To take steroids you usually orally in tablet form or injected intramuscular.
What Alex Rodriguez loser from taking steroids.
In December 2007, Rodriguez and the Yankees agreed to a 10 year, $275 million contract. This contract was the richest contract in baseball history (breaking his previous contract's record of $252 million.) In February 2009, after previously denying use of led, including duringba 2007 interview with Katie Couric on 60 minutes Rodriguez admitted to using steroids saying he used them from 2001 to 2003 when playing for Texas Rangers due to “an enormous amount of pressure" to perform. on August 5th, 2013, Rodrigues was suspended for 211 games as a result of the Biogenesis scandal investigation, but was allowed to play while the suspension was under appeal. How the suspension been upheld, it would have been the longest non-lifetime suspension in baseball history. After an arbitratation hearing, the suspension was reduced to 162 games, keeping him off the field for the entire 2014 season.
Keyora by keykey330
- Simulants allow the body and mind to perform optimally by enhancing focus, energy, and aggression. Some examples are caffeine, amphetamine,and methamphetamine.
- Painkillers allow performance beyond the usual pain threshold. Some painkillers raise blood pressure, increasing oxygen supply to muscle cells. Painkillers used by athletes range from common over-the-counter medicines such as NSAID(such as ibuprofen ) to powerful prescription narcotics .
- Sedatives and anxiolytics are sometimes used in sports like archery which require steady hands and accurate aim, and also to overcome excessive nervousness or discomfort. Diazepam andpropranolol are common examples; ethanol and cannabis are also used occasionally.
- Diuretics expel water from the body. They are often used by athletes who need to meet weight restrictions, such as wrestlers. Many stimulants also have a secondary diuretic effect and are also used as masking drugs.
- Blood boosters increase the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood beyond the individual's natural capacity. They are used in endurance sports like cycling and Nordic skiing. EPO is one of the most widely-known drugs in this class.
- Masking drugs, as a group, do not have any specific type of pharmacodynamic action; a masking drug is simply any drug used to prevent the detection of other classes of drugs. The chemical compositions and administration regimens of masking drugs change as quickly as testing methods do. A common example of a masking drug is epitestosterone, which possesses no performance-enhancing effects, but restores the testosterone/epitestosterone ratio (a common criterion in steroid testing) to normal levels after anabolic steroid supplementation.