Dmitry Godlevsky mods22-24
Urologists and urology
Overall job description
Urologists are specialized physicians who diagnose and treat conditions of the urinary tract and male reproductive systems. A urologist is a surgeon who conducts operations, and performs various other treatments, with the use of medical equipment like lasers, X-rays, fluoroscopes, radium emanation tubes, and catheters.
Major job responsibilities
- The work week is usually split fairly evenly between clinic and OR.
- Most urologists have around 2 OR days and 3 clinic days, although many clinic days may have time dedicated to office procedures.
- Obviously, the clinic days are going to be more routine office hours.
- OR days vary a lot depending on what type of cases you perform.
- Most procedures are outpatient and relatively short.
- If you plan to do a lot of cancer surgery then you will do some longer cases and therefore will have some evenings spent operating.