NHCS Title 1 Federal Programs
2018-19 New Hanover County Schools
Bradley Creek ES
Castle Hayne ES
College Park ES
Holly Shelter MS
Myrtle Grove MS
NHCS Parent/Family Engagement Policy http://www.nhcs.net/policies/series9000/9060.pdf
Parents & Families Engaged
- that parents and other family members play an integral role in assisting their child's learning
- that parents and family members are encouraged to be actively involved in their child's education at school
- that parents are full partners in their child's education and parents and family members are included, as appropriate, in decision making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child; and
- that the school system utilizes activities to support parent and family engagement in the Title 1 programs.
Dr. Jakki Jethro,
NHCS Director of Federal Programs (910) 254-4200
What IS Title I ???
Title I and related federal program funding provides for the following as well as many other efforts at Title I schools:
- additional teaching positions at Title I schools
- Pre-K teachers and some other positions at Pre-K centers
- professional development for teachers and staff
- school transportation for homeless students
- curriculum programs and materials; and
- many parent and family engagement expenses
Read More about Title I and Federal Programs now reauthorized as ESSA (Every Student Succeeds Act) https://www2.ed.gov/programs/titleiparta/index.html
WHAT PARENTS CAN DO TO HELP
- Understand your child's performance in reading and math and how you and your school can work together to improve your child's performance.
- Attend Parent / Teacher Conferences.
- Be aware of your school's performance under ESSA (Every Student Succeeds Act),
- Communicate your school's success to your community.
- Look for ways to support your school in challenging areas.
- Participate on your school's School Improvement Team.
- Provide suggestions to update your school's Parent / Family Engagement Policy
- Attend your school's Annual Title I Parent Meeting and other Parent & Family Engagement Events.
- Participate in the development or update of your school's School - Family Compact.
- Volunteer at your child's school.