NLSC Advisor Update May 2019
This Advisor Update is specifically about the National Leadership and Skills Conference!
2019 National Conference Information Packet
Please be sure to download and read the 2019 National Conference Information Packet at http://miskillsusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/19nlsc_info.pdf. There is a lot of important information in there that you need to know!
2019 NLSC Due Dates – IMPORTANT!
There are a few important due dates left for the 2017 National Leadership and Skills Conference on June 19-24, 2017 in Louisville, KY:
- May 15, 2019– Payment deadline to State Office
- May 31, 2019– Additional Trading Pins Pre-Order Form due to State Office
mikeroweWORKS Foundation Offers Travel Scholarships for Competitors
The mikeroweWORKS Foundation, in partnership with SkillsUSA, is proud to offer a scholarship opportunity up to $1,000 for SkillsUSA members who have competed and placed first in their state association competition.
To apply for the mikeroweWORKS Foundation Competitor Scholarship, applicants:
- Must be a gold medal winner at their 2018 state competition, advancing to national competition.
- Have never attended the National Leadership and Skills Conference prior to this year
- Be a SkillsUSA member in good standing
- Must reasonably demonstrate financial need for scholarship.
- Must submit application and attachments no later than midnight EDT on May 15, 2019.
- Preference will be given to applicants from program areas of manufacturing and industrial applications, construction, technical computer applications, firefighting, electronics and transportation.
The application is on the web site at http://www.skillsusa.org/membership-resources/scholarships-financial-aid/the-mikeroweworks-foundation-competitor-scholarship/.
SkillsUSA Offers National Championships Scholarship In Partnership with Harbor Freight Tools for Schools
SkillsUSA, in partnership with Harbor Freight Tools for Schools, announces a travel scholarship opportunity to the SkillsUSA Championships. Eligible SkillsUSA members can apply to receive up to $1,500 to assist in attending the 2019 National Leadership and Skills Conference (NLSC) in Louisville, Ky.
Applications will be accepted until May 10. Recipients will be announced May 15. For full details including eligibility, visit: https://www.skillsusa.org/membership-resources/scholarships-financial-aid/harbor-freight-tools-for-schools/
Awards will be open to students who are members of SkillsUSA chapters
at public high schools in the United States, eligible to compete on behalf of their state at the SkillsUSA 2019 NLSC, and are registered to compete in the following contests at the 2019 NLSC:
- Additive Manufacturing
- Architectural Drafting
- Automotive Refinishing Technology
- Automotive Service Technology
- Aviation Maintenance Technology
- CNC Milling Technology
- CNC Technician
- CNC Turning Technology
- Collision Repair Technology
- Diesel Equipment Technology
- Electrical Construction Wiring
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR)
- Industrial Motor Control
- Major Appliance and Refrigeration Technology
- Marine Service Technology
- MLR (Maintenance Light Repair) (technology demo)
- Motorcycle Service Technology
- Power Equipment Technology
- Residential Systems Installation and Maintenance
- Sheet Metal
- Welding Fabrication
- Welding Sculpture
Students eligible to compete at the 2019 NLSC in the following contests may receive these scholarships, provided they were enrolled in one of the skilled trades program areas listed above during the 2018-2019 school year:
- Action Skills
- American Spirit
- Career Pathways Showcase: Industrial Engineering Technology
- Career Pathways Showcase: Natural Resources and Agriculture
- Chapter Business Procedure
- Chapter Display
- Community Action Project
- Community Service
- Customer Service
- Employment Application Process
- Extemporaneous Speaking
- Job Interview
- Job Skill Demonstration A
- Job Skill Demonstration Open
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Outstanding Chapter
- Prepared Speech
- Principals of Technology
- Promotional Bulletin Board
- Quiz Bowl
We need to know how to reach you this summer, so please send your summer email address to email@example.com.
SkillsUSA Michigan State Events
There are several SkillsUSA Michigan state events planned at Nationals. All events are mandatory and will be held at the hotel.
- Monday evening at 7:00 pm - State Orientation Meeting and Contestant Leadership Testing. All contestants need to bring a #2 pencil. This is a mandatory meeting for ALL participants!
- Thursday morning from 5:30 am to 7:30 am – State Breakfast (before SkillsUSA Championships)
- Friday evening immediately following Awards Ceremony – State Social and Awards
New This Year!
- Awards Ceremony Passes Sold Online - SkillsUSA Awards Ceremony pass sales for people that are not conference registrants are changing. Awards ceremony passes will be sold online only! The new procedure will be through the SkillsUSA website, and sales will begin June 3. Visit: https://www.skillsusa.org/events-training/national-leadership-and-skillsconference/ Select the link for Awards Ceremony ticket sales. The advance purchase will be $10 each, plus a service fee. A credit card is required for online purchase. Buyers will be required to either download the admission ticket, which contains a barcode, onto their smartphones, or print out a paper copy of the ticket(s) to be admitted to Friday evening’s awards at Freedom Hall. No on-site ticket sales will be available. The number of tickets for sale is limited due to seating availability at Freedom Hall. Buy early; once all seats are sold, ticket sales will cease. There will be parking fees at the entrance of the Kentucky Exposition Center (KEC). For more information on parking: https://www.skillsusa.org/events-training/national-leadership-and-skills-conference/registration-andlogistics/parking/
- Full Program Available on Conference App - A condensed version of the NLSC program will be included in the annual Awards and Recognition book. In addition, there will be a PDF of the entire NLSC program available for attendees to print from the national conference website by June 1. The SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference official program and all the details will be available through the conference app — also available by June 3.
- Business Center - There will be a SkillsUSA business center located in KEC South Wing Lobby B100 and open Tuesday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. There will be fees associated to give access to photocopy service and for those who wish to have access to print from jump drives or the internet. There will be a 20-minute time limit per person. 9
- Champions Night with PVSA Recipients Wednesday, June 27, 2019 at Louisville Bats, Slugger Stadium - This year’s Champions Night will be a baseball game between the Louisville Bats and the Toledo Mud Hens. First pitch is at 7 p.m., but there will be several pregame activities that are devoted to SkillsUSA beginning at 6:30 p.m. The ticket is included with every paid registrant and will provide the following: admission to game, free baseball hat and $5 loaded value on the ticket good for any of the concession stands inside the stadium. The game ticket is good only for Wednesday, June 26. For stadium information, including weather policies, visit: https://www.milb.com/louisville/ Continuing a new tradition for Champions Night, recognition of our President’s Volunteer Service Award honorees will be included. Details will be shared with state SkillsUSA directors who have PVSA honorees registered to attend the conference.
- Meet the Employer Event Returns! New Location: South Wing C - Friday, June 28, 2019 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m., SkillsUSA hosts Meet the Employer in East Hall of KEC. Over 50 employers from every sector will be on site to promote career opportunities with their companies. All NLSC attendees are invited to stop by to interact with eager potential employers. Students are required to bring copies of their resumes. Admission is free for NLSC attendees. More information can be found here: https://www.skillsusa.org/events-training/national-leadership-and-skills-conference/meetemployer/
Personal Medical Information
IMPORTANT – In order for SkillsUSA to be HIPAA compliant, we are no longer allowed to collect personal medical information for each person attending the conference, including medical cards. It will be the responsibility of the local school to maintain/keep medical information and have permission to dispense it as needed.
National Conference Text MessagesPlease sign up using the codes below to receive important text messages at the National Conference. We are using Remind for these text messages.
- If you have a smartphone, get push notifications. On your iPhone or Android phone, open your web browser and go to the following link: rmd.at/2019minlsc. Follow the instructions to sign up for Remind. You’ll be prompted to download the mobile app.
- If you don’t have a smartphone, get text notifications. Text the message @2019minlsc to the number 81010. If you’re having trouble with 81010, try texting @2019minlsc to (734) 680-8322. * Standard text message rates apply .
Cell Phone Numbers
All advisors are asked to email their cell phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. Thanks to those who have already done this. This cell phone number list will be provided to all advisors in attendance at Nationals.
Championships Contest Updates
Please be sure to read the contest updates posted on the National web page at http://www.skillsusa.org/competitions/skillsusa-championships/contest-updates/. VERY IMPORTANT: Please be sure to check the contest updates regularly. Your student will not be prepared for the contest without this information. We want all competitors to be aware of this information and any changes!
All competitors must create a one-page résumé and submit a hard copy to the technical committee chair at orientation. Failure to do so will result in a 10-point penalty. They can bring a résumé to the contest on the day of competition, however, the penalty will remain in effect.
Interested in Becoming Certified In SkillsUSA Career Essentials?
For the first time, SkillsUSA Career Essentials Certified Teacher training will be held at the National Leadership and Skills Conference in Louisville, Ky.
This certification training requires full participation in four specific sessions. Each of the sessions will be offered twice — once on Wednesday, June 26, and once on Thursday, June 27. Teachers are welcome to register for the four sessions all on one day, or they may complete some of the sessions on one day and the rest on the other day.
Register here. The registration form allows teachers to select their sessions and includes information about securing a hotel room if needed. Registered teachers will be guaranteed a seat in each respective session. Walk-in participants will be welcome to fill available seats in each session as well. There is a limit of 35 seats per session.
Individuals registering for all four sessions of this training will receive one year of access to one of the SkillsUSA Career Essentials: Experiences courses, will develop an implementation plan for using the course, and will learn about and develop strategies for teaching it. Those completing all four sessions in full will also earn their certificate as a Career Essentials certified teacher.
Registration will close on May 20. Please direct any questions about this training to SkillsUSA’s senior manager of curriculum and instruction, Anita Foor, at email@example.com.
Additional Trading Pins Pre-Order Form
We will be taking pre-orders for additional trading pins for Nationals. Pre-orders must be received by May 31, 2019. As part of your registration, all registrants will receive three (3) SkillsUSA Michigan Trading Pins. The pre-order form is available at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/.
NLSC Shipping Information
The official shipping company for the SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference is YRC Freight. All shipments must be made by using YRC Freight, if you use another carrier you will need to pay a drayage charge of $50 per hundred weight, no exceptions. Please use the shipping label at this link. Contest freight must use a blue label.
To schedule p/u, track shipments, and shipping documents Go to, www.yrcfreight.com
YRC will start receiving freight on May 1 and all freight needs to be received no later than June 16.
If, for any reason, you are unable to meet these required dates, or if you have other questions, please contact YRC Exhibit Services at 800-531-3976. They will make every effort to comply with your needs. A representative will be onsite to assist you with your shipping needs at the end of the competition on Thursday, June 22, at the championships office trailer, East Wing.
Note: For lightweight package shipments (70 lbs. or less), please use United Parcel Service (UPS) and ship them directly to your hotel. Mark the package(s), “Hold for Arrival” and your name. Please do not ship to YRC Freight.
Freight that is 12 feet or longer in length cannot be shipped to the YRC terminal. Contact SkillsUSA for instructions on direct shipments to the event site.
Discount Car Rentals
Discount car rentals are available. More information is available at http://www.skillsusa.org/events-training/national-leadership-and-skills-conference/registration-and-logistics/car-rental/.
Parking at the Galt House
There is a charge for parking at the Galt House, both self-parking and valet parking. FYI - There is a limited number of large vehicle parking spaces at the Galt House but other parking will be available nearby.
Contest Clothing Requirement
The clothing requirement for your contest is found in the Technical Standards. A copy was given to each winner. Please be sure to follow this exactly as you will receive a penalty for not having the proper clothing. Be sure to get the proper clothing beforehand as there is no guarantee that you will be able to purchase what you need at Nationals. Competition apparel and accessories may be purchased at https://www.skillsusastore.org/.
There are also detailed specs on the shoes, please be sure you have the correct ones!
- Shoes: No canvas, vinyl, plastic or leather athletic-type shoes, open-toe or open-heel shoes are permitted in any SkillsUSA Championships event without penalty. Contestants may be disqualified where improper footwear constitutes a health or safety hazard. When leather work shoes are required: “work shoes” are technically defined as low or high-top leather, lace-up shoes with rubber, skid-resistant soles. They can be steel- or non steel-toed. Work shoes can be purchased very inexpensively at any local department store and in most mail-order catalogs. Western-style (cowboy) boots are not allowed, except Roper-style boots that are all-leather, round-toed, flat soled, and with a low heel.
Please Note - All participants (students, observers, advisors and guests) need to wear Official Attire to the Opening Session and Awards Ceremonies. Official Attire is listed below.
Dress Code for All Participants
Registrants traveling as a group should remember that they are representing SkillsUSA and forming a public impression of the organization. When traveling, registrants are not required to wear official SkillsUSA attire, but they are encouraged to wear clothing with the SkillsUSA logo — for example, an embroidered polo shirt with khaki slacks. At all times, whether traveling or during the conference, registrants’ overall appearance should be clean and neat. Their attire should be appropriate for the occasion. Contestants must follow the clothing requirements in the official technical standards for their contests. During formal events such as the opening and awards ceremonies, official SkillsUSA attire is required.
Opening and Awards Ceremonies Attire
As an organization, we must portray a professional image to the business, industry, education and government representatives attending the opening and awards sessions. Official SkillsUSA attire should be worn to the opening ceremony. The national board of directors has ruled that students who come on stage during the awards ceremony be dressed in official SkillsUSA attire or SkillsUSA Championships work clothing. Students not wearing official SkillsUSA attire or Championships work clothing will not be allowed on stage. Other attire is not allowed, including jeans, shorts, T-shirts, tank tops, sneakers, boots and sandals. This rule will be enforced, and any awards earned will be presented backstage if the student is not dressed properly.
Official SkillsUSA Attire
- Women: Red SkillsUSA blazer, white blouse (collarless or small-collared), knee length black dress skirt or black dress slacks, black sheer (not opaque) or skin-tone seamless hose and black shoes
- Men: Red SkillsUSA blazer, white dress shirt, solid black tie, black dress slacks, plain black socks and black dress shoes.