Desert Sage Newsletter - December 2022
DVUSD Honor Band Participants
After some outstanding auditions, the following 6th grade students have been selected to participate in the DVUSD Honor Band this school year.
- Hayden S. (flute)
- Lilly M. (clarinet)
- Mason G. (euphonium)
- Max R. (baritone saxophone)
- Parker Y. (tuba)
- Sophie L. (clarinet)
- Lily W. (trombone/1st alternate)
2nd Quarter Work Deadline 12/14/2022
Students have until Wednesday, December 14th to turn in any absent or missing assignments or redo assignments for a better grade for the current grading quarter. Please take a moment to review your Parent PowerSchool account for the most accurate and up-to-date grade information. If your student has work to be turned in or redone, it is the responsibility of the student to communicate with the teacher about how to do this. Any absent or missing assignments for all subject areas (this includes Specials) not turned in by the deadline will negatively affect your student’s overall grade in that subject.
Teachers will have conversations with students about getting missing assignments turned in as soon as possible and how to go about turning in the assignments. If you have specific questions regarding work that your student may still need to complete, please email the teacher of that subject area with your specific questions and they will work diligently to reply quickly and or directly discuss the work with your student. Teacher email addresses are available on his/her staff site on the Desert Sage website.
Thank you for the support you provide your student and his/her teachers.
Holiday Spirit Week
- Monday, 12/12 - Candy Cane Day (Red/White)
- Tuesday, 12/13 - Winter White Day (White/Blue)
- Wednesday, 12/14 - Ugly Sweater Day
- Thursday, 12/15 - Grinchy Green & Whoville Hair Day
- Friday, 12/16 - Holiday PJ Day
Report Cards - Going Paperless
Desert Sage Loves Their Special Education Teachers!
December 2nd was Special Education Day & we celebrated our EXTRAORDINARY Special Education teachers. We are beyond thankful for Mrs. Anderson, Ms. Branson, Mrs. Flores, Ms. Fridley, Mrs. Kasher, Mrs. Thorton, and Ms. Waterman. They are truly extraordinary educators with hearts of gold for their students.
Desert Sage welcomes our community to volunteer to support our students and staff. There are a variety of opportunities for volunteerism at Desert Sage. This includes chaperoning field trips, classroom activities support, teacher copy assistant/project prepper, office support, school events support (picture days, field days, etc.).
If you decide to volunteer, you will need to attend a mandatory district volunteer training before you are able to volunteer in any capacity for the school. Desert Sage offers in-person training in our media center throughout the year. Upcoming training dates include: January 24, 2023 at 8:00 a.m. and March 23, 2023 at 8:00 a.m. If you cannot attend these dates or are in need of an earlier training date, you can attend any volunteer training provided at a DVUSD school campus.
District Volunteer Information with Training Dates
Thank you for considering volunteering at Desert Sage!
I Spy PLC
Grade level teams are taking a close look at their students' mid-year assessments for possible whole group and small group reteaching needs. These assessments include DIBELS Benchmark for kindergarten through 3rd grade, Math Growth Measure for 1st through 6th grade, and Reading Inventory for 1st through 6th grade.
If you would like more information about PLCs, please visit our DVUSD PLC website.
Public Review of K-12 Social Studies Adoption Materials
Public Review of K-12 Music Review Adoption
Mark Your Calendar - Important Dates
- Thursday, 12/8: In-Person PTO Meeting at 4:15 p.m.
- Friday, 12/9: PTO Donuts with Grown Ups at 7:30 a.m.
- Friday, 12/9: Dismissal at 2:00 p.m.
- 12/12-12/13: Gecko Gold Store & PTO Holiday Shop
- Wednesday, 12/14: Last day to turn in 2nd quarter work
- Friday, 12/16: Half-day 12:05 p.m. Dismissal
- 12/19-1/2: No School, Winter Break
- Tuesday, 1/3: School resumes for 3rd quarter
- Friday, 1/6: Regular 3:30 p.m. Dismissal
AZ School Tax Credit for Desert Sage
Your school tax credit donations can provide Desert Sage students with opportunities to after school and summer programs, field trips, music and athletic programs or any other extracurricular activity.
- The Arizona tax credit program (A.R.S. 43-1089.01) allows a tax credit of up to $200 for individuals and up to $400 for married couples, filing jointly, in support of extracurricular activities.
- The tax credit reduces your tax burden to the state of Arizona, dollar for dollar.
Make your tax credit donation to Desert Sage at: https://az-deervalley.intouchreceipting.com/.