March 26, 2021
PLEASE NOTE: Our next Tamanend Connections newsletter will be sent out on Friday, April 9
TAMANEND PLAYERS PRESENT AN AMAZING PERFORMANCE
Congratulations to Tamanend Players on last weekend's Spring musical “Frozen Jr.” This year, the musical was presented in both live and streamed formats. Kudos to the entire cast, crew, and to the parents who worked extra hard this year to make the event special. A special thanks to the faculty directors Mr. Sanchez, Mrs. Wilhelm, and Ms. Vitacco for their hard work, dedication, and creativity. You can access the program here to read about our cast, crew, and directors and see all of the wonderful local business that supported the musical this year.
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
No School for Students--Thursday, April 1; Friday, April 2; Monday, April 5
Tamanend Parent Book Club--Tuesday, April 6 at 6:30 PM (virtually, on Teams; information below)
End of 3rd Marking Period/Early Dismissal--Friday, April 9
Kelly Anne Dolan Virtual Trivia Night (Rescheduled)--Thursday, April 15 (virtually, on Teams; information below)
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Changes to Meal Distribution Schedule--March 29 to April 6
Please note the following changes to the meal distribution schedule for March 29 to April 6:
- Meal distribution for virtual students will not take place on Thursday, April 1 or Monday, April 5.
- Students will receive additional meals on Monday, March 29, and distribution will also take place on Tuesday, April 6.
- Distribution will return to the normal Monday/Thursday schedule on Thursday, April 8.
Reminder--KAD Virtual Trivia Night Has Been Rescheduled for April 15
For the first time in Tamanend history, we will be hosting a KAD Virtual Trivia Night for the whole family! Since we can’t host our annual basketball tournament fundraiser, we thought this was a great way to bring our community together and continue our partnership with KADMF. Each family can form a team! The trivia game will be played live on Kahoot and hosted on Microsoft Teams.
You didn’t think we’d have a KAD event without prize baskets did you?! Don’t worry! There are still opportunities to win amazing prizes! Look for information about how to buy chances to win these prizes coming soon. We will have live drawings and announce the winners during the Trivia night! We will also have some special guests make appearances during the trivia night.
You don’t want to miss it! Here are all the details:
- Date: Thursday, April 15
- All TMS community members are invited to play.
- The game will begin at 7pm. Please log on by 6:45. The trivia game will last about one hour.
- This event is FREE, but everyone must register in advance in order to receive the link to the game.
- You can play as a single person or as a team, but everyone needs a team name and a team captain.
- Trivia questions will include a variety of topics, including some Tamanend-related trivia.
You will need two devices to play: A laptop or mobile device to join us via Microsoft Teams AND a mobile device with the free app Kahoot!, available on the Apple App Store or GooglePlay. Participants can login to Teams using the link at 6:45 pm and trivia will start promptly at 7pm. The Teams link will be shared with each team captain on Thursday, April 15 around 3:00pm.
In order to play, please fill out the registration form below by Thursday, April 15 at 12:00pm.
You will need to create a team name (KAD themed team names encouraged!) and designate a team captain. The team captain, who will be entering the team's answers, will need to enter this team name in Kahoot! on the night of the event.
Click HERE to register!
We look forward to playing with you on the 15th!
Reminder--Tamanend Spirit Gear is Here!
Looking for some Tamanend gear? Here are the current opportunities to order Tamanend Spirit Wear:
Tamanend Spirit Wear from Caldwells in Doylestown
Reminder--Order Your Tamanend Yearbook
Don’t forget to order your child’s 2020-2021 Tamanend Yearbook! The price of the yearbook is $40. The last day to order a yearbook is April 30. Please click the link here to take you to Jostens online ordering page. No preorders will be accepted in school – all orders must be done through Jostens. If you have any questions, please email Kristen Gerth at email@example.com.
Reminder--Join the Wellness/Snack Break Social 10:35--10:55 Daily
Hello! Are you looking for a way to connect with other kids from school while you are learning from home in the virtual setting? Mrs. Cammann is hosting a Wellness/Snack Break Social time each day from 10:35-10:55 during the virtual and hybrid learning models. Students are invited to join in to share some conversation and be connected with students across all grades. On Wednesdays, we will have games and trivia during this time! You are welcome to participate daily or pop in occasionally - no pressure. Maybe you will even get to know some new faces! Just click the link below to take part, socialize, and participate, while using our Tamanend ROAR to respect and include each other in this group. Enjoy your snack and unwind with us at 10:35 any day. Hope to see you there! Click here to join the meeting
Reminder--Tamanend Parent Book Club
Are you interested in global issues and news? Do you want to get involved in helping people in your community and around the globe? Join the Tamanend UNICEF Unite Club. This club was started this year and the purpose of this club is serve as a space to discuss global issues, engage students, help students use their voice to enforce positive change, make better thinkers and communicators, and much more. Students will have the opportunity to learn about child protection, education, water, sanitation and hygiene which may align with certain areas of study, allowing for a more insightful, understanding life outside of the classroom. The club will also provide students with an opportunity to gain leadership positions on campus. Through fundraising, awareness, and community service, we will be able to help the millions of children who need our help. Please fill out this interest form https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=j0gLqp78hUGl4zhCIN8jyiSa13bnl15Kgt4n4oFy81FURjJUTThYNlM2M0xTN0pWNFU5MzNWUE9OQy4u if you are interested in the club. Meetings will be once every two weeks virtually A date for our first meeting will be sent out to those interested soon! If you have any questions feel free to contact Kalidindi.H055@student.cbsd.org , EORINSKI@cbsd.org , or AHIGGINS@cbsd.org.
Reminder--Mock Trial Team for 9th Graders
Do you want to improve your speaking and analysis skills? Do you like exploring legal issues of everyday events? Or, just want to spend some time hanging out with Mr. Sterner and Mr. Heisey? We are pleased to offer the Mock Trial Club at Tamamend for any interested 9th graders. It’s a great way to learn about the legal profession and debate your way through an actual case as either a lawyer or a witness, as well as build your skills for future participation and competition at CB South. Please e-mail Mr. Heisey (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mr. Sterner (email@example.com) if you are interested. Thank you!
Reminder--Tamanend Today Club
While we can’t currently run Tamanend Today, our live weekly TV show, we are still seeking interested students who enjoy broadcast media and video production. We have some ideas for production until we can go live again, and we would like your ideas for when we can go live. Until then, join us and be a part of producing meaningful, pre-recorded broadcasts and features. If media production is your thing, please reach out via e-mail to Mr. Sterner (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mr. Landis (email@example.com) to be part of our Tamanend Today Club! Thank you!
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Please report your child's absence in any of the following ways:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone (Attendance hotline): 267-893-2920
Reminder--Important Traffic Safety
Since the beginning or the year, our parent drop-off and pick-up traffic has improved tremendously, but we still need your help. There will soon be an increase in daily traffic as more students return to in-person learning. We must remember that WE HAVE STUDENTS WHO WALK TO SCHOOL. Recently, we've seen an increase in cars speeding on Stuckert Road. For the safety of our students, please maintain a 15 mph school zone speed limit in our parking lots and along Stuckert Road. Thanks for your help!
Reminder--Parent Drop-Off and Pick-Up
With the return of 5-day in-person schooling, there has been an increase in the number of car riders. Please remember the following important details when dropping off or picking up your child-
- You can only turn right into the parking lot, from the direction of Kelly Road. Do NOT attempt to make a left-hand turn into the parking lot during pick-up at the end of the day. If you come from Bristol Rd., please go past the school, turn around, and get in the car line.
- There are staggered dismissal times. The first is at 1:16 and the 2nd is at 1:21pm. It would be helpful to find out what time your child is dismissed from their 7th period class, so that you do not rush to get in line if they are let out at the 2nd dismissal time.
- Everyone has been able to exit the parking lot by 1:30 pm, so there is no need to rush. All students are let out between the Main Entrance and the Gym/Cafeteria Entrance, so students should not be walking down the sidewalk to your cars. This causes the line of traffic to stop and we need to keep everyone moving.
Thank you for your support!
FROM OUR GUIDANCE OFFICE
- 7th grade students’ verification sheets were posted to the Parent Portal on Feb. 5th and were to have been confirmed by Feb.11th.
- 8th grade students’ verification sheets were posted to the Parent Portal on Feb. 23rd and were to have been confirmed by Tues., March 2nd.
- 9th grade students’ verification sheets will be posted to the Parent Portal today, March 19th, and need to be confirmed by Thursday, March 25.
- NEWS FROM MBIT:
- Information on MBIT’s Summer Career Exploration has been released. Please click HERE for details.
- 9th graders interested in attending MBIT, can now schedule a live virtual tour to observe programs and see a bit of the classroom and what students are learning and doing. Students may express interest in a live tour by signing up HERE.
- Starting on March 22nd, Child and Family Focus, Inc. will be hosting sessions titled “Strengthening Families Program: For Parents and Youth ages 10-14 (SFP 10-14)” which is an evidence-based program that began in 1993 and has been rigorously evaluated for 26 years! All families can learn from this program because families all have needs and challenges. This program highlights family strengths and helps to build stronger families through the practice of skills, tools, and strategies that can assist in children having bright futures, and creation of stronger and safer communities. Sessions are fun and interactive and can all be facilitated virtually! Please see the flier below for more details. Click here to see a short video clip about the program.
Reminder--Teen Mental Health Check In Group
This Edition of Guidance Sparks--Be the Captain of Your Child's Spark Team
In previous newsletters, we introduced the idea of what is a Spark and how your child can identify their individual passion. We also shared some videos to generate ideas for beginning the process. But what is your role as parent or guardian on this journey? As Peter Benson states in his book, Sparks (2008), “Your best role is to be the captain of your child’s spark team.”
What does this mean? Children really do want their parents to be involved in their lives and being that spark champion will increase the connection between you. For some of you with older children, you might be shaking your heads but it really is true. Younger kids delight in sharing their successes with their parents but the older ones may do this more internally. However they express this, know that all children want their parents to be the leader of their spark team. This role is easier the earlier you start the conversation. With an encouraging attitude, you can be an integral part of them finding that spark.
You are not alone in this mission. Children have a community to draw from for their spark team. Other family members, teachers, neighbors, coaches, mentors, and bosses can all take a hand in the development of our children by sharing their own stories and being there to listen and show encouragement. Take the lead and you and your child will benefit from your involvement.
For comments or questions, please contact Ginny Barrett at email@example.com.
FROM OUR LIBRARY
Reminder--Tamanend Library is Here for All Your Reading Needs!
All students have full access to all books in the Tamanend Library and to SORA, our digital collection. If you would like to check out a book, please watch the following videos in your Library Canvas Course to see how to access both physical and digital books. Books will be delivered to classrooms for Hybrid students and Online students can pick their books up in the front lobby of Tamanend!
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Reminder--9th-12th Grade Student Technology Toolkit
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
Reminder--Required Dental Exams for 7th Graders
Reminder--Please Contact Our Nurse For COVID-Related Issues and Concerns
Please notify our Certified School Nurse, Lauren Myrtetus, if you, someone in your household or your student have been diagnosed with COVID or if your student has been identified as a close contact of someone who has been diagnosed with COVID. Also, please notify Mrs. Myrtetus if your student is ill and is being tested for COVID.
If your students needs to quarantine, he or she should report directly to the nurse’s office on his or her first day back to school for a temperature and symptom screening.
Mrs. Myrtetus is happy to answer any questions related to COVID.
Reminder--What to Do If Your Child Is Sick
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Breakfast and Lunch is Available to ALL Students Free of Charge Through the Remainder of the 2020-2021 School Year
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Bucks County Health Human Services Hub
Reminder--Shriner's Children's Pediatric Fracture and Sports Injury Care at Doylestown Hospital
Reminder--Food Pantry at Warrington Fellowship Church
Reminder--Grandfamilies Support Group
Reminder--Nominate a Tamanend Student for March Boomerang Award
For those of you who are unfamiliar, the Boomerang Youth Recognition Award, it is a district-wide monthly program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by one of the chosen Developmental Assets®. These Developmental Assets were identified as a set of skills, experiences, relationships and behaviors that enable young people to develop into successful and contributing adults.
Nominations for March's Boomerang Asset are due by Friday, 03/26. The chosen for March is Asset #30: Responsibility- Recognizing a young person who accepts and takes personal responsibility. Please submit your nomination through this link.
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, May 20th, 9am
This is an online event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900