Sycamore Community Schools
May 2023 District Newsletter
Table of Contents
- The Greatest: We are proud to announce the districtwide and building winners of our Teacher of the Year Award. 💚💛
- So Long, Farewell: 25 staff members are retiring, including three incredible administrators after decades of service. How you can help us celebrate! 👋
- I Came In Like a Wrecking Ball: Demolition begins soon on the old junior high. When you can get a sneak peek inside the new building. 🚧
- Talking 'Bout My Generation: The incredible discussion between students and families about cultural and generational gaps. 🔊
- We Are The Champions: From robotics to marketing, Sycamore receives recognition at the INTERNATIONAL level! 🏆
Celebrate Excellence Educator of the Year
Help us say "magnum officium" to Sycamore Latin teacher Sean Minion! Sycamore Schools is proud to announce that Mr. Minion is overall district 2023 Celebrate Excellence Educator of the Year!
Mr. Minion splits his time between Sycamore Junior High and Sycamore High School, teaching all of our Latin courses. Click here to see some of the wonderful things his students had to say. Mr. Minion will be honored at the Hamilton County Education Foundation's Celebrate Excellence ceremony at the Sharonville Convention Center on May 5. Bene facis, Mr. Minion, for all you do for our students!
Teachers Of The Year
- Ally Marth, Sycamore High School Math (pictured)
- Kelly Abbas-Lee, Sycamore Junior High Math
- Angela Ryan, E.H. Greene Intermediate Math and ELA
- Bethany Mulkie, Blue Ash Elementary 1st Grade
- Jane Hillenbrand, Maple Dale Elementary Kindergarten
- Julie Simpson, Montgomery Elementary 1st Grade
- Sarah Goddard, Symmes Elementary Kindergarten
Classified Staff Members of the Year
- Child Nutrition Services Staff Member of the Year
- Transportation Services Staff Member of the Year
- Maintenance & Custodial Staff Member of the Year
- Educational Assistant of the Year
- Administrative Assistant/Associate of the Year
New SHS Assistant Principal Named
A former Sycamore High School coach and teacher is joining the high school administration.
The Sycamore Board of Education has approved the hiring of Andrew Ovington as assistant principal at the high school. Ovington previously taught in the district for eight years before becoming the assistant principal at Liberty Junior School in Lakota Schools. Learn more about Ovington's return to SHS.
Longtime Administrators Retiring
Bill Fritz, former Director of Technology, is retiring after 29 years of service to our schools. Learn more.
Beth Weber, Treasurer, is retiring after 24 years of providing award-winning financial leadership to our district. Learn more.
David Foster, who has been critical in our Master Facility projects and our safety plans, is retiring. Learn more.
Retirement Celebration on May 17 at 6:00 pm at SHS
Master Facility Projects
Sycamore Junior High
Preparing For Demolition in June
As part of the phased demolition plan, preparation for razing the old Sycamore Junior High School is already underway. Crews have begun removing materials from inside the detached gymnasiums behind the academic wings. Teardown of the gymnasiums will begin this month. The remainder of the building is scheduled to be torn down beginning June 4. This phase of demolition is a critical path as we work to welcome students for classes in August.
The district along with SHP and Monarch Construction have done our due diligence to ensure the safety of our students and staff during this process, including testing for hazardous materials and carefully securing the area.
Once full demolition begins in June, crews will be keeping the structure and debris wet during demolition in order to prevent the spread of dust and prevent fire from breaking out.
The district previously communicated that demolition would begin on the detached gyms May 1. We wanted to clarify that this work begins with a lot of interior mitigation work of nonhazardous materials before walls and the roof are torn down.
Sycamore Junior High: Final Flight
Save The Date: Master Facility Virtual Lunch & Learn
Thursday, May 4th, 12pm
This is an online event.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 982 7121 2474
In Case You Missed It
Sycamore Awarded Ohio K-12 School Safety Grant
Sycamore Community Schools has been awarded an Ohio K-12 School Safety Grant. The state is awarding the district over $606,000 for safety and security upgrades at our schools. Learn more about the district's plans for improvement.
Robotics Team Places #14 at World Championships
Juniper Robotics repped Sycamore at the FIRST World Championships in Houston.
The Sycamore High School team advanced into the "Elite 8" from a bracket of 192 teams. Juniper was ranked #1 in the World at scoring the most points in the last 30 seconds of a match. They ranked #14 in the World in points scored per match.
Student Artwork To Be Displayed in D.C.
Mayya's photo was also awarded for the second year in a row in the Montgomery Photo Contest as the Student's People's Choice Award.
Order Now! T-Shirt Project
A group of Sycamore Junior High students are selling t-shirts they designed to raise funds for Helping Hands of Cincinnati.
The T-Shirt Project is back after a several years hiatus. Students created shirt designs and came up with a business model for marketing and selling them to raise money for the charity of their choice. A panel of judges from the University of Cincinnati's Center for Economics chose this cool design to take to production.
Helping Hands of Cincinnati assists families battling cancer with their medical bills. Help support a great cause and show your Sycamore Spirit. Check out this student-created website and order today.
"We The People" State Competition
Sycamore Junior High students had an incredibly unique experience at the Ohio Supreme Court during the "We The People" Middle School State Competition. They were the only school in Ohio to travel to Columbus this year to compete in mock Congressional Hearings on constitutional issues.
Sycamore Junior High took home a Superior ranking for demonstrating their knowledge of constitutional principles within six defined topical units. They also received an Excellent ranking in the category, "What shaped the founders' thinking about governement?"
Summer School Registration
- Grades K-4: June 5-30 at Maple Dale Elementary
- Grades 5-6: June 5-30 at E.H. Greene Intermediate
- Grades 7-8: June 5-30 at E.H. Greene Intermediate
- Grades 9-12: June 5-July 14 at E.H. Greene Intermediate
Summer school fees are automatically waived for students on free/reduced lunch.Registration can be done via Parent Portal. Don't qualify for free/reduced lunch? We may still be able to assist. Please contact our Summer School Directors for more information:
- Lindsey Hake Grades K-4: email@example.com
- Chris Gutermuth Grades 5-8: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeremy Pletz Grades 9-12: email@example.com
Locked Out of Parent Portal?
Dates To Remember
- May 3: Board of Education Meeting, District Office, 7:30am
- May 17: Sycamore Schools Retirement Recognition, Sycamore High School 6:00pm
- May 17: Board of Education Meeting, Sycamore High School 7:00pm
- May 21: Class of 2023 Commencement, Cintas Center 3:00pm
- May 26: Last Day of School
There are a number of fun events happening at your child's school this month. Check the district calendar for more information.