READING ENDORSEMENT (P-12)
Application Deadline September 11, 2015
2014-2015 ATLANTA PUBLIC SCHOOLS/MRESA
Atlanta Public Schools in conjunction with the Metro Regional Educational Service Agency (MRESA) is offering the Reading Endorsement Program. In order to earn a Reading Endorsement, it is required that teachers successfully complete the following 3 courses:
Foundations of Teaching Reading in a Pluralistic Society
This course is designed to provide and extend candidates’ knowledge of the reading process by examining theory and research as a foundation for making instructional decisions.
Reading Assessment, Diagnosis and Evaluation
This course is designed to provide candidates with knowledge of theoretical models, methods, and materials of literacy assessment.
Teaching Reading and Writing in the Content Areas
This course is designed to provide candidates with a conceptual and instructional framework for teaching reading and writing in the content area. This course will also provide candidates with research based strategies to help readers comprehend informational text structures. Essential to this course is the interrelationship between reading and writing in all grades.
The Endorsement is divided into three courses consisting of 5 Professional Learning Units each. The courses will be offered outside of the instructional day on Thursdays from 4:30pm to 9:30pm (tentatively starting September 24, 2015 and ending May 5, 2016). Locations will be determined based on enrollment. Completion of the three courses is required in order to add the endorsement to a valid, clear, renewable Georgia Teaching Certificate.
Criteria for Admission into the Reading Endorsement Program
For admission into the Reading Endorsement program, prospective candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a valid, clear, renewable Georgia Teaching Certificate
- Have a Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Complete and submit all documents in the electronic application packet prior to the deadline: Friday, September 11, 2015
Note: Course 1 is tentatively scheduled to begin on September 24, 2015. If you have additional questions, please contact Audrey Glascoe at 404-802-2623.
How Does the Selection Process Work?
The direct link to the eApplication: http://www.ciclt.net/sn/resa/rep_profilenew.aspx?ClientCode=mresaep
- Create a profile in the endorsement database. All candidates must do this prior to completing the application.
- Once the profile is complete, the candidate will select the endorsement for which they want to apply.
- Select “Your Application”
- Candidate completes the application.
- Candidate uploads certificate. A candidate who has not done this, may log in to the system at any time before September 11, 2015 to upload the certificate.
- Candidate electronically signs the application.
- Email is sent to candidate’s principal.
- Principal reviews the application and approves or disapproves.
- Once approved, an email is sent to the district endorsement contact.
- District endorsement program contact reviews and electronically signs the application. Target school applicants are given priority status.
- Email is sent to MRESA endorsement coordinator.
- MRESA endorsement coordinator reviews and electronically signs the application.
- Candidate is enrolled!!!!
Literacy Department Contact Information
Dr. Alisha Hill, 6-12 Literacy Coordinator
Dr. Adrienne Simmons, K-5 Literacy Coordinator
Ms. Audrey Glascoe, Administrative Assistant
ELA SharePoint: http://tinyurl.com/apsELAsite
Remind 101 Updates: Text @aps612 to (678) 866-1954