CSA Lincoln Newsletter
October 28th, 2016
Principal's Notes and Highlights
This week has been very busy!
- Kindergarten traveled to The Apple Works to complete their apple project and had several parent volunteers in this afternoon leading their Community Helper stations.
- 5th-6th grade hosted the Design Thinking Project group from Columbus Regional Hospital. This group (pictured below) observed class to learn more about how we reach our diverse learners and incorporate those strategies in how they can educate their patients.
- 3rd & 6th grade classes worked with the Eleven-Fifty Academy to write lines of code for a video game.
- Educators from Baltimore, Maryland toured our school this morning to learn about PBL and the CSA program.
- Second Grade had their pajama party.
- First Grade traveled to the Irwin Gardens for a tour.
- The K-2 team was recognized at the BCSC School Board Meeting (picture of Mrs. Newton & Mrs. Grueninger below). They were awarded a grant for "Full Steam Ahead Fridays", which will be the K-2 version of Passions.
- Josh Burnett, who creates the #celebratecolumbus videos on Facebook, met with staff, students, parents, community members, and the new playground design architect as part of our playground project. He collected footage for a video he is producing for us! So if your student comes home and say they saw a drone flying over the playground they're tell the truth. I'll be able to share more details about this project later.
- And last, but not least, we welcomed 240 students to our Fall-o-ween festival this afternoon! Thank you to all our parent volunteers who made this event possible!
Have a great weekend!
Monday-Halloween Costume Expectations
Members of the Columbus Regional Hospital Design Thinking Project meeting with the 5th-6th grade teachers
Mrs. Grueninger and Mrs. Newton accept the BCSF Grant award!
Parent Communication Tools
Parent Portal (Gradebook):
Parent Letter (English)
Parent Letter (Spanish)
Video Tutorial: Click here to watch a short video overview demonstrating how to create a new parent or guardian account.
Picture Tutorial: Click here (English)for a step by step handout on how to create a single sign-on account.
Reading the Report Card:
Video of Parent Portal View:
6th grade went to the Library today to work with a group from 11/50 Academy. The students learned how to use a Raspberry Pi device with Scratch software to write lines of codes and program a game. Each game had two main characters and two objectives that the characters had to complete. The 6th graders were able to try one another's games.
| || |
Art to Remember
From Mrs. Blackerby (Art teacher at CSA Lincoln):
Your student is an artist!
This quarter we are participating in the Art to Remember program, which provides students and their families an opportunity to purchase keepsakes to preserve student artwork. Each student has received a customized catalog that lists all of the products available. The form includes an order form on the back and an envelope for payments. Each catalog also has a custom online order code on the back page (highlighted in green) for online ordering.
All catalogs are due back no later than Wednesday, November 2, 2016. Completed order forms and payments can be turned in at the main office. Please make sure all payments are labeled with the student’s name and teacher’s name. It is completely optional to participate in this project. The proceeds from this program will be used to purchase the sketchbooks that each student currently use and replenish art room supplies.
Make sure to take advantage of this opportunity to celebrate your little artist!
Pearson Perspective (Grades 3-6) A resource for parents
Below is information that was provided to schools by the Indiana Department of Education. This is just a resource similar to the ACT or SAT practice tests that high school students take to improve their scores.
Pearson Perspective: Pearson Perspective is a supplemental online instructional resource site that provides thousands of enrichment learning resources to help teachers and families improve their students’ performance. All of the supplemental resources are aligned to the Indiana Academic Standards to ensure students have access to materials that support their curriculum. Families can use the Learning Locator to access personalized learning for students based on their individual state test scores.
Husky Gram Winners
Mark your calendars for Fall-o-ween Fest 2016, events will include Halloween Humor (not haunted house)House (designed and ran by 6th grade), games, face painting, pizza and much more. A flyer will be coming home after Fall Break with more information including times and cost. If you are available to help with this event, please sign up: http://signup.com/go/NJVUPv.
Click here for directions on how to receive text message updates from Mr. Findley
WHAT IF WE NEEDED YOU TO KNOW...
WHAT IF there was an EMERGENCY? WHAT IF we needed to GET INFORMATION TO YOU? This is a QUICK and EASY way to communicate needed information TO YOU!
What is REMIND?
Principals everywhere are forgetting their complex phone trees and are using Remind as a simple way to keep their colleagues in the loop and build community at their schools.
Click on the Get Connected with REMIND above this article.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!