Tuesday's Top Tips
Communication and Top Tips
Our staff have recently attended a very worthwhile course about communication. As well as getting involved in some fun exercises, there was an in depth debate where we discussed possible barriers and top tips to supporting effective communication.
Some of the points raised may be more obvious than others. Sometimes just to revisit what we know is a subtle reminder and can put these to the forefront of our minds.
We wanted to share our findings with you.
- Listen, and show a child that you are listening through eye contact, body language and expressions.
- Use Makaton/Baby Signing.
- Give each other time to respond to what is being said or asked.
- Make time for interests.
- Ask about their day.
- Be mindful of how your child is feeling – even little ones can have a bad day!
- Be consistent.
- Try and keep to routines which work for you.
- Limit the use of technology.
- Read stories.
- Be supportive.
- Socialise with other children.
- Visit Children Centres.
- Use appropriate language.
- Sing to or with your child.
- Support independence.
- HAVE FUN TALKING OR COMMUNICATING WITH YOUR CHILD!
We would appreciate it if you shared with us your thoughts on this type of information. Please use the 'Comments' section below or send us an email.
Have you found it relevant or of interest?
Would you like us to provide you with more information on tips relating to how you can support your child as they grow and develop?
Do you think a Parent's Evening to discuss Communication, or another topic, would be helpful?