Thurston County 4-H News
October 7-13 - National 4-H Week
October 8 - Office Closed - Columbus Day
October 10 - National Youth Science Day
October 14 - Thurston County Achievement Night
November 12 - Office Closed - Veteran's Day Observed
November 19 - Thurston County 4-H Council
November 22-23 - Office Closed - Thanksgiving Holiday
December 24-25 - Office Closed - Christmas Holiday
The Thurston County Extension Office will be accepting applications for part time (15 hrs/week) position as an office assistant until October 10th. This position requires a person who is a self-starter, highly self-motivated and flexible. Qualifications are: customer service skills; a working knowledge of Microsoft Suite, Internet, and financial management; organizational and communication skills and a valid Nebraska driver’s license. Must pass a criminal background check and the 4-H volunteer screening. Additional information about this position can be found online at www.thurston.unl.edu at https://go.unl.edu/uw6n or at the Extension Office. Cover letter, resume and references may be sent to Nebraska Extension in Thurston County, 415 Main Street, PO Box 665, Pender, NE 68047. For more information please contact Nebraska Extension Educator Jennifer Hansen at 402-385-6041. Thurston County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Need to Know
Busy Programming - Out of the Office
Days we know that we'll both be out of the office are:
- Oct 3
- Oct 10 am
- Oct 12
- Oct 16
National 4-H Week
Here are a few ideas to try this year to promote 4-H.
- Ask local businesses to put a message about 4-H on their sign.
- Designate a "4-H Day" during 4-H Week and ask all 4-H members to wear their 4-H t-shirts to school.
- Furnish cooks for 4-H Open House as a local business or in conjunction with a community activity. Make sure your 4-H club has a sign there so you get the publicity.
- Make 4-H bookmarks and distribute them to school and public libraries during 4-H week.
- Plan an anniversary party for your club. Invite former members and leaders.
- Put a "Happy" ad in local papers during 4-H Week.
- Fly a 4-H flag in the town Square.
- The ideas are endless.
County Fair Info
Consumer & Family Sciences
Start Food Preservation Exhibits NOW
Martha and Don Romeo Scholarship
The Nebraska Association of Fair Managers will award a $500 scholarship to one qualifying 4-H male and a $500 scholarship to one qualifying 4-H female who are graduating seniors in the State of Nebraska and who plan to continue with post high school education. The scholarship will be awarded at the annual NAFM convention in January.
The selection of the scholarship recipients will be made by the NAFM Scholarship Committee whose members will consider the following:
- Each applicant must have exhibited his/her 4-H projects in a County Fair or at the State Fair within the last four years.
- Each applicant must hold a 2.5 high school grade point average (based on a 4.0 system). Each applicant must also maintain a 2.5 grade point average for the first semester in college and carry at least 12 credit hours.
- Each applicant must agree to apply the scholarship funds for tuition or fees at a two or four year college or its equivalent, to be judged by the committee.
- Each applicant must have demonstrated support for his/her school and community.
- Each applicant must exhibit during the application process a desire to achieve the goals of which he/she is capable.
- Financial need will not be considered in the selection process.
- One male and/or female finalist will be selected by each 4-H award committee in the Local Extension Office.
- Recipients are requested to personally accept the award at the Nebraska Fair Managers Convention.
Applications are due in the applicant’s local County Extension Office by December 1, 2018.