Independent Study Updates
The Independent Study Classroom and College Campus
Our classroom is a place where students can work on assignments, get support or help, and interact with their classmates. Students who take advantage of time spent in our classroom benefit from a quiet (most of the time) and focused environment. Please spend as much time in our classroom as you can.
Reminder: Math Tutoring Wednesday and Thursday 11:00-1:30.
The Cañada College library is public. Anyone with a library card can check out books and get support from the assistants for research and other projects. There are also computers available for student use.
The Learning Center has tutors available for students taking college classes.
The most successful Independent Study students take advantage of all of the support services that are available.
FAFSA Financial Aid for College- Seniors Only!
Please click on these links for additional information:
FAFSA Application https://fafsa.ed.gov/
Your home school College and Career Center is a great resource for support in completing the FAFSA.
Cañada College also offers free workshops to helps families complete the FAFSA:
FAFSA Tuesday Workshop
Every Tuesday, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Need help creating your FSA ID? Get started today
PSAT October 10th, 2018 Grades 10 and 11 only
All Independent Study students who choose to take the test must arrive on time and bring a picture ID. Plan on spending at least three hours testing! Most likely, the test will begin at the start of the school day.
Students, please check your school email for important information regarding this exam. You can also stop by your College and Career Center, or check in with your home school counselor for more information.
Below is a link to more information about the PSAT and how to prepare and practice.
I will share information I receive from home schools with students as it becomes available.
Community College Classes
Be mindful that college grades are permanent on your college transcript. Do your best, ask for help if needed, communicate with your professors if you have questions or concerns, and access the college Learning Center for tutoring support.
The last day to withdraw from a course with a W (withdrawal) is November 14th, 2018.
Upcoming Holidays, Important Dates, and School Closures
- Friday, September 28th Classroom closed. Library and Learning Center will be open. I am attending an all day conference.
- October 1st FAFSA available for seniors and senior parents
- October 2nd I have jury duty. I'll send out an email if I am required to go in. *
- Wednesday, October 10th Flex Day for Canada College- no college classes, PSAT at Home Schools. Our classroom will be open and students will meet with me for their appointments.
- Thursday, October 18th Classroom closed until 12:00. I have a meeting.
- Thursday, November 8th Classroom closed until 12:00. I have a meeting.
- Monday, November 12th Veteran's Day Classroom and colleges closed.
- Wednesday, November 14th Last Day to drop a community college course with a W.
- November 21st-23rd Thanksgiving Holiday No ISP classroom closed.
- November 22nd and 23rd Thanksgiving Holiday No college classes.
- December 6th Classroom closed until 12:00. I have a meeting.
- December 11th- December 17th Finals Week for college classes
* I am working on getting a substitute in case I am called to serve.