Literacy Volunteers Tutor Training
At the Portsmouth Public Library
RSVP and Mark Your Calendars!
There are 6 sessions to attend:
Wednesday, September 20
Saturday, September 23
Wednesday, September 27
Saturday, September 30
These sessions will be held from 5:00 PM - 7:30 PM at the Portsmouth Public Library
Tuesday, October 3 5:00 - 7:30
Wednesday, October 4 5:00 - 7:30
(Locations to be announced, based on your residence.)
Make-up sessions are available!
RSVP to Elizabeth McDowell. (401) 247-2177 Or, click the link below:
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to attend all six of the training workshops?
- Yes, you do. You can make up a session if you need flexibility.
I can't make an evening training--will you do one in the daytime?
- We time our trainings to bridge day-to-evening to accommodate as many of you as we can. While training is at this time, we can certainly book you for daytime tutoring.
I am not sure if I am ready. How do I check it out?
- Come to the first meeting. The first 45 minutes is an orientation. You can also shadow a student-tutor pair or visit a class to further explore.
I live too far from Portsmouth. Will you offer a training in my area?
- Please call us to discuss. Tell your friends to tutor, too!
Are there any fees for the training?
- We ask for $20 to cover the cost of the materials we provide you. You may request a waiver if you need.
Do you need any paperwork from me?
- Yes, thanks. Below is a link to a form you can fill out and bring to our first workshop. You will also need a BCI (state criminal background check) before we can match you with a student. These are easy to get. Please call Elizabeth for assistance.
What if I have a teaching background?
- Great! We value our professional teachers very much. If you have never worked with adult learners, please join the workshops. It's also a great opportunity to meet those in your community who share your mission.
Literacy Volunteers of East Bay
Literacy Volunteers of East Bay is a service of East Bay Community Action Program (EBCAP), a 501(c)(3) agency serving East Providence and Bristol & Newport Counties. EBCAP does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, race, color, religion, national origin, or disability.