Legislations and Frameworks
Enduring Power of Attorney Act (EPA):
- It was created in 1985.
- Legal authorization to act on someone else's behalf in legal or business matters.
- Now replaced by the Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) in 2007.
- Unlike a basic Power of Attorney, an EPA (and an LPA) does not come to an end if the donor becomes mentally incapable of managing their own affairs.
Human Rights Act:
- It was originally created in 1998.
- You can defend you rights in the UK courts and that public organisations must treat everyone equally, with fairness, dignity and respect.
- This act protects us all whether we are rich or poor, young or old.
- It give us the right to life protecting our lives by law.
Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act:
- This act creates the basis for ISA (Independent Safeguarding Authority).
- ISA manages 2 barred lists - one for people who can't working with children and one for those who can't work with vulnerable adults.
- This act also makes vetting compulsory otherwise those who don't comply will be placed in jail.
Mental Health Act:
- This act was created in 1983.
- This act covers the care and treatment of mentally disordered people.
- It also covers the management of the person's property and other related matters.
- The act provides legislation by which people who are diagnosed with a mental disorder can be kept in police custody or hospital and have their disorder assessed or treated against their will. This is know as sectioning.
Putting People First: A shared vision and commitment to the transformation of adult social care.
- This was put in place in 2007.
- It is a shared ambition to put people first by reforming public services, letting people live their own lives and being confident that services are of a high quality.
- This causes people to feel independent, have good well being and dignity.
Living Well with Dementia - The National Dementia Strategy
- It delivers quality improvements to the dementia services and address all the health inequalities relating to any type of dementia.
- To provide advice, guidance and support for commissioners and providers who plan, monitor and develop services.
- Enduring Power of Attorney Act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enduring_power_of_attorney
- Humans rights act: https://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/human-rights/what-are-human-rights/human-rights-act
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safeguarding_Vulnerable_Groups_Act_2006
- Mental Health Act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_Health_Act_1983