ELEMENTARY SUMMER SCHOOL 2015
Elgin Independent School District
Overview of Summer School 2015
During the summer of 2015, Elgin ISD will conduct its elementary summer learning program hosted at Elgin Elementary School. We hope that our best teachers choose to serve our students to help them perform at the level that will allow them to be successful in school as well as in life. The main objectives at our elementary site will be to:
- Provide an environment where educators and students will engage in meaningful learning experiences with a very positive culture and climate,
- Provide instructional support for teachers, and;
- Significantly improve student achievement through engaged and aligned classrooms.
The entire district is supporting these efforts so that we can improve the quality of summer learning for all. This bulletin will provide you with some questions and answers that should help you determine whether or not you would like to "change lives" by being a part of our summer learning program.
Elementary Summer School Dates & Times
Here are the summers hours for our students:
- PK - Kinder Students - 7:30 am - 2:30 pm
- 1st - 5th Grade - 7:30 am - 12:30 pm
5th Grade STAAR Retesters
Tuesday, June 23rd, 8am-2:30pm
1005 West 2nd Street
The Summer Curriculum
Quality curriculum for summer school in reading and math will be utilized by our summer school staff. The district will be utilizing new resources that are aligned with balanced literacy, shared reading, and guided reading for K-5. Our district specialists will be writing guidance documents to support the use of the materials.
The LEP summer school curriculum is from Frog Street. For PK in preparation for Kinder the curriculum is called Kids’ Club/Club de Niños. For Kinder in preparation for First Grade the curriculum is also from Frog Street and is called Enhancing Writing/Words, Words Words/Problem Solving/Cultural Stories, Poems & Songs.
District curriculum leaders are currently in the process of arranging quality professional development for all designated summer school staff, to be held on June 8th. The goal is to ensure that all summer staff will be impacting student achievement through engaged, aligned classrooms.
Summer School Staffing
Summer school teachers will operate as the teachers of record at the host site and will work in close collaboration with their colleagues to plan for an engaging and rigorous summer experience. Teacher support and feedback will be provided on an ongoing basis to ensure that the focus is always on student achievement. In preparation for staffing for summer school 2015, we are recruiting a base of talented support staff composed of members from EES, BTW, & NES, to be part of the effort. Positions are listed below and will be dependent on enrollment numbers.
Staff Positions Needed for Elementary Summer School:
- Summer School Office Clerk
- Bilingual Teachers 5 Grade SSI Course Retention /STAAR Review
- Bilingual Teachers PK - K
- Bilingual Teachers 1st - 4th
- ESL Teachers PK - K
- ESL Teacher 1st - 4th
- General Education Teachers K - 4 Course Retention/STAAR Review
- Instructional Aide
- Literacy Specialist
- Library Aide
- Summer School Substitutes
Special Note: A full description of each position can be found online. Summer school job postings were opened on Monday, April 13th for internal applicants only. Anyone needing their internal login account information should email Jacki Ruiz from Human Resources at email@example.com OR contact her via phone at extension 1202.
To apply, interested staff members should complete the following steps:
- Select the position you wish to apply for from the list.
- Complete the summer school support staff internal application (directions are listed in the link below).
- You will be contacted directly to schedule a phone and/or in-person interview. Interviews will be scheduled after 3:00 pm beginning May 1st - May 8th.
- Notifications of selected staff will be sent out during the week of May 11th - May 15th.