Black Lives Matter
- "Black Lives Matter", -the rallying cry -against racist police violence.
- Formed to campaign against racism-police brutality against African Americans.
- Began by three black woman activists on social media
- Twitter hashtag #blacklivesmatter
- Reaction to an acquittal in July 2012-2014. (Trayvon Martin)
- Outrage over an unarmed Florida teenager, Trayvon Martin
- about 1,000 supporters who took the streets of New York and a petition
- George Zimmerman fatally shot the African American, 17 year old high school student the night of February 26,2012 in Sanford, Florida, United States
- Police said when they arrived Trayvon Martin was dead
- Mr. Zimmerman's claim -he shot him in self defence after Trayvon attacked him from behind
- Trayvon had no weapons,but the police accepted Zimmerman's claim that the shot was out of self defense
- Witnesses say that Zimmerman started the whole thing by following Trayvon
- Gained attention for protestering the deaths of other unarmed African Americans who died at the hands of police officers
White Lives Matter
many racists across America have gone on a barnstorming campaign, posting the catch phrase White Lives Matter (WLM)
to counter a message believed playing a part in a systematic devaluing of white culture
even orchestrating what they call a “white genocide."
Donald Trump is the leader of the White Lives Matter movement. Someone had to start it — they were gettin’ out of control. First, one of them became president and now they’re in the streets protesting every time a Black thug gets shot. They’re gettin’ a little too free( Trump says)
coming undone-(black lives matter protesters even brought attention to presidents and candidates
- "You are defending the people who killed the lives you say matter," foremer president Bill Clinton said
"I don't know how you would characterize the gang leaders who got 13-year-old kids hopped up on crack, and sent them out in the streets to murder other African-American children,"
"Maybe you thought they were good citizens -- she didn't."
Hillary Clinton was confronted by protesters this year over the use of the term
Clinton's campaign put out a statement saying she shouldn't have used those words
“Once you’ve highlighted an issue and brought it to people’s attention and shined a spotlight, and elected officials or people who are in a position to start bringing about change are ready to sit down with you, then you can’t just keep on yelling at them,” Mr. Obama said.
- Hillarcy Clinton and Bernia Sanders individually met with Black Lives Matter activists to discuss policing reform and racial injustice
- marked significant moments which helped recognize the movement as a national political force
- Black women activists across the country lead a national campaign to fight for the recognition and respect all black women deserve but don’t always receive(#sayhername)-
- fought to include black women and girls as part of the national conversation around both racial and gender inequality
- Two months after Sandra Bland was found dead in her jail cell, local residents rallied together to demand her legacy live on
- she died in police custody three days after she was arrested for traffic violation in Waller,Texas
- August, local protesters rallied together and marched to the city council building to demand the road -where she was pulled over to be
- renamed in her honor
- request was approved and the road, originally named University Boulevard, was changed to Sandra Bland Parkway