The Principal's Message
Crossroads South Middle School
October 14, 2018
"Bringing South Home"
36 staff members (on a SUNDAY) joined this starting caravan throughout the day to bring SOUTH to you!
Staff Coffee Cart - Brewing Independence
Mrs. Conroy's class members have become our in-house Baristas! They are working on great skills while selling coffee to our staff each Friday.
Our RESPECT display is up and our buckets are filling up with TICKETS! We get to recognize and celebrate students for showing RESPECT throughout our school community. Look at this amazing artwork from our students! #RESPECT
"Bringing South Home"
Staff Coffee Cart - Brewing Independence
FROM THE PRINCIPAL...
Happy Fall! We are in full swing and thank you for a great start. We have several great events coming up, so please read the important dates calendar carefully.
- MONDAY - DYSLEXIA AWARENESS: We have several events packed into this part of the school year. On Monday, while also recognizing School Violence Awareness Week (see below), we ask students to also wear something RED to honor Dyslexia Awareness.
October is Dyslexia Awareness Month. South Brunswick is committed to being a Dyslexia Friendly district with the ability to embrace and support the strengths and talents of our students with Dyslexia. 1 in 5 people may have indicators of Dyslexia. On October 15th, you may see educators wearing red shirts to bring attention to the 1 in 5 statistic. Our district is very proud of our commitment to being a Dyslexia Friendly district. Our teachers created this video to showcase our commitment to supporting students with Dyslexia and other learning difference. You can see the video here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Cpni_wZZynNkp2R0RUVTBSWGM/view?usp=sharing
- SCHOOL VIOLENCE AWARENESS WEEK: October 15th - 19th is School Violence Awareness Week in New Jersey. It is our school district’s clear, consistent message throughout the year to create a positive school climate and appropriate student behavior. This will help to reduce violence and continue to create a supportive learning environment.
MONDAY: Being a good friend is no SWEAT! Wear your favorite sweatpants/sweatshirt!
TUESDAY: Buddy Up! It's TWINS day. Find a friend and wear something similar.
WEDNESDAY: TEAM up against bullying! Wear your favorite team jersey/shirt.
THURSDAY: Be someone's HERO. Wear your favorite SUPERHERO shirt!
FRIDAY: Stand together as a SCHOOL. Wear BLACK & GOLD!
- BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHTS: Thank you for your open mind and flexibility with the changes made to Back to School Night. Please forward any feedback directly to me.
- NOVEMBER CONFERENCES: This year we will have one day for Fall Conferences. This day is scheduled to take place on Monday, November 5th. The Middle School has set aside a different time window than the High School and Elementary Schools to allow for some additional time for parents with children at multiple levels. Our conference windows are 8:00am - 1:00pm and 4:00pm - 7:00pm. Information regarding how to register and how to schedule times will be sent via email on Friday, October 19th.
- RED RIBBON WEEK: Crossroads South is participating in Red Ribbon Week on October 24th. Red Ribbon Week is a time to remind students to take a stand against substance abuse. The Crossroads South students will engage in drug prevention activities during lunch on Wednesday the 24th with our SAC (Student Assistance Coordinator). The students will be able to make a personal pledge to commit to a drug-free lifestyle. Educational materials will be provided along with an opportunity to engage in discussions about peer pressure situations. We encourage everyone to wear RED on October 24th.
- WINTER SPORTS PHYSICALS ARE DUE: All physicals for Winter Sports are due this week. Please reach out to our Athletic Director, Elaine.McGrath@sbschools.org, or the coach with specific questions. All information was sent in a previous email.
- "BRINGING SOUTH HOME" SUCCESS: Last weekend, we started the first of several tours throughout South Brunswick. As part of our school's efforts to increase our parent outreach, we want to come to you. It was great to see everyone who came out and we look forward to meeting even more of you in the future. Stay tuned for our next date and the neighborhoods we will be visiting.
- AFTERSCHOOL: As a reminder, students are only permitted to stay after school if they are participating in a school-sponsored club, activity, or event. This includes students staying as spectators of our athletic program. Please note that they must stay with that event and they are not permitted to go anywhere off campus. Please feel free to call Administration with any specific questions.
- IMPORTANT BUS NOTE: Please remember that students are only permitted to ride his/her regular bus home. You cannot go home on another bus. Our busses are full and any additional students have left others without a seat and in a potentially dangerous situation. If your child wishes to go home with another student, you must coordinate either a parent pickup at the school or a parent pickup at your house. Thank you for your understanding.
- 10/15 - NJ Violence & Vandalism Awareness Week
- 10/20 - PTO Clothing Drive
- 10/22 - BOE Meeting @ 7:30pm
- 10/26 - 6th Grade Social
- 10/29 - Picture Day Make-ups
- 10/31 - Halloween
- 10/31 - PTO Book Fair/FOOD DRIVE
- 11/1 - PTO Book Fair/FOOD DRIVE
- 11/2 - PTO Book Fair/FOOD DRIVE
- 11/5 - NO SCHOOL - CONFERENCES
- 11/5 - PTO Book Fair - Parent Day/Night
- 11/6 - NO SCHOOL - Professional Development
- 11/7 - NO SCHOOL - Professional Development
- 11/8 - NO SCHOOL - NJEA Convention
- 11/9 - NO SCHOOL - NJEA Convention
- 11/15 - "Night Under the Lights" Football Game @ North Brunswick
- 11/19 - BOE Meeting @ 7:30pm
- 11/21 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Thanksgiving
- 11/22 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving
- 11/23 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving
- 12/3 - BOE Meeting @ 7:30pm
- 12/5 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - School Planning
- 12/6 - WINTER CONCERT SERIES (Band) @ SBHS 7:00pm
- 12/6 - Trimester 1 ENDS
- 12/7 - Trimester 2 BEGINS
- 12/7 - PATTERNS Assembly
- 12/13 - WINTER CONCERT SERIES (Strings) @ SOUTH 7:00pm
- 12/17 - BOE Meeting @ 7:30pm
- 12/20 - WINTER CONCERT SERIES (Chorus) @ SBHS 7:00pm
- 12/21 - EARLY RELEASE - Winter Break
UPCOMING PTO EVENTS!
- APPAREL SALE: The apparel sale is still on. Please visit this link to order ASAP: https://www.agpestores.com/iep/groups.php
- CLOTHING DRIVE: Save and bag your lightly used clothes and bring them to Crossroads South on Saturday, October 20th! The PTO is hosting this wonderful opportunity to clean your closets for the winter while raising money for our school. We are paid by the pound! Please see the Online Friday Folder for specific information regarding this event!!
- BOOK FAIR & FOOD DRIVE: During the week of the Book Fair, the PTO will be gathering food donations for our local South Brunswick Food Pantry. Please send in any canned items, as well as boxes of pasta.