Protest Movement Fast-Food Workers
Who was involved?
All the fast food companies only giving minimum wage
Why is it happening?
What impact has this made?
How has this worked for the group?
- Kansas City Popeye’s restaurants recently received a 50 cent raise and a free meal during every shift. (changes came after they made written demands to the company)
- Kansas City Burger Kings workers got new uniforms, fixed equipment, and didn't have to attend required training while off the clock. Some also claimed that immigrant workers were regularly treated with disrespect by their bosses, their were apologizes said to some of the workers. (Got these from protest)
- It is getting peoples attention
- Some are raising wages above minimum wage
- It has gone global including Germany, Italy, Brazil, Japan, and even the Philippines
- The protesting gets out of hand causing arrest and fines
- People are losing their jobs
Is it right to protest?
They have rights that they deserve to have. First off, they deserve to be able to have a place to live. If they are going to work everyday they should be able to afford at least an apartment. Some are living in homeless shelters because they don't make enough to protest. Next, some of them have families to support. It is hard enough to be able to support yourself with this amount of money, try supporting four kids also. Many of these people are single parents that need the money. Another reason that it is right to protest is that everyone isn't fit to go to college. Some people claim that they should just go to college and get a real job. That is not possible for many of these workers. Also someone has to do the job, therefore someone is getting a rip off. The right to have Unions is another example on why they should protest. Unions would help them protect their futures and their rights. They deserve to feel like their job is safe and they will have a way to support themselves and their families. Lastly, they deserve a change. They are not being treated right. This is wrong and I believe it is a good reason to protest.
Why does it need to be changed?
Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry
UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION DISCLOSURE OFFICER,
OR IN WRITING:
DISCLOSURE OFFICER, OFFICE OF UC BENEFITS
CLAIMS INFORMATION CENTER
ROOM 501 LABOR & INDUSTRY BUILDING
651 BOAS STREET
HARRISBURG PA 17121
The website helps with finding jobs, safety, and services for disabilities.
Most common for PA
Unemployment insurance Agency
Weekdays 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Can file online or call
Wants to help the job growth in Michigan
Help them get money for unemployment