How hoarding works isn’t understood yet. Therefore there is no known way to prevent it
Definitions from: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hoarding
- to accumulate for preservation, future use, etc., in a hidden or carefully guarded place: to hoard food during a shortage.
- to accumulate money, food, or the like, in a hidden or carefully guarded place for preservation,future use, etc.
Facts about hoarding
- Hoarding has been found in almost every age from a 3 year old to a person in their 50’s.
- typical age that hoarding starts to occur is around 13
- it's rare but, a person can become a hoarder in their later years
- In the United States, there is an estimated 1.2 billion people that have a hoarding condition
- Between 25-40% of people with OCD have hoarding symptoms
- hoarders can’t tell the difference between junk and necessities.