Created by: Andrea Gambino
- Middle School Social Studies' Teacher at Centennial Campus Magnet Middle School in Raleigh, NC (2008-Current)
- Previously taught 7th Grade Language Arts at CCMMS (2008-2010) (switched to single-subject teaching teams in 2010)
- Attended North Carolina State University and obtained a B.S. in Middle Grades Education with a dual certification in Language Arts and Social Studies in 2008
- Loved the Wolfpack so much I went back for a second round and obtained my M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction with a concentration in New Literacies and Global Learning (basically combined my love of teaching + technology)
- In the future, I aspire to go back to school to achieve a Ph.D. to be able to work with the next generation of teachers (particularly in the area of literacy instruction and instructional technology)
Experience with Online Teaching & Online Learning
As far as my experience with teaching online, currently, my content PLT partner, Ryan Millhoff and I have originally designed our course (7th Grade Social Studies) to be completely digital using Blackboard. Although we are essentially paperless we believe in a blended learning approach to working with our students.
As we grow as teachers, our course evolves and changes, and our students open our eyes to new ways to teach and learn. I strive to combine face to face learning that is discussion rich, with digital/collaborative learning. I believe that the blended learning approach really balances a variety of teaching/learning approaches to create a fun and engaging learning environment.
I currently serve as a Blackboard Coordinator for my school and I have also previously designed curriculum in Moodle for a private company called VIF International Education and I really enjoyed using Moodle too!
Why am I taking this course?
The Key to Effective Icebreakers?
- Must be purposeful with a goal to build a sense of community between all students
- Should nurture different personalities/learning styles
- Should create a safe space for learning
Today's Meet is an awesome digital backchannel to make online chatting come to life! Sorta looks like a LIVE news feed. My students & I use this when we are viewing a video clip. I pose questions and they reply to me and their peers in real time!
Ever heard the saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words?" Well, now your picture can spit all those words on out! Make a still image come to life using Blabberize!
Tired of having your students annotate what they are reading on paper? Make a document exciting using a digital annotation tool called, Crocodoc!