Davis A&M Family Newsletter
November 8, 2021
Thank you to all of the families that attended our SPA Conference night. It is very important to us that advisors have a chance to communicate with parents at this time of year. If you were unable to schedule a conference last week, please call the school to schedule a time for your child's advisor to review grades, share transcript status, and help your child set academic goals.
A friendly reminder that students have a shortened week. All CMSD buildings are closed on Thursday in observance of Veteran's Day. Student also do not have school on Friday because of a district-wide staff professional develop day.
If you have questions about any of the announcements, please call the school at 216.838.2500
In this Newsletter, you will find information about:
- Parent Advisory Meeting - November 16th
- Class of 2022 Update: Cap & Gown Orders
- Bring Your Parent to Clubs Week
- 11th Grade Geometry Presentations
- After-School Academic Support
- PHASTAR & Maritime Science
- PHASTAR Boat Building & Boating Club Update
- Complete the Say Yes Cleveland Family Survey
- Community Resources & Announcements
- Update Contact Information with Davis A&M
- Year-Round School Calendar Dates
Parent Advisory Meeting - November 16th
Parent Advisory Meetings are opportunities for Davis A&M parents to provide input towards the decisions and direction of our school. Different topics are discussed each meeting, and parents only need to attend the meetings that are of interest to them. Below is the agenda for the upcoming meeting:
- PBIS Update: Finalized expectations & new Rewards system
- Discussion on the rise in discipline concerns seen at Davis and throughout schools country-wide. Parents share thoughts and suggestions to make a positive impact on the current discipline concerns facing Davis.
- Say Yes Update: Meet our Family Support Specialist and consider what other strategies can be implemented to support the whole family’s financial, social, and emotional wellness that would make a positive impact on a scholar's progress in school?
- Parent Interest Input: What will be our next parent learning opportunity?
When: November 16th at 8:30 AM and at 4 PM. Please attend the meeting time that is most convenient for you.
Where: For the 8:30 AM meeting, please enter through the back entrance on Hamilton. For the 4 PM meeting, please enter through the front door on Lakeside. A Davis staff member will greet you and direct you to meeting room.
Bring Your Parent/Guardian to Clubs Week
- FAB LAB - MONDAY, 11/15 at Davis from 3:15 - 4:15
- Boat Building & Boating Club - on TUESDAY, 11/16 at PHASTAR (1776 Columbus Rd) from 3:30 - 5:00
- Drone Club on TUESDAY, 11/16 at Davis from 3:15 - 4:15
- 10th - 12th Grade Aviation Club on WEDNESDAY, 11/17 at Davis from 3:15 - 4:15
- First Tech Challenge on TUESDAY, 11/16 and THURSDAY, 11/18 at Davis from 3:15 to 4:15
- 9th Grade Aviation Club on FRIDAY, 11/19 at Davis from 3:15 - 4:15
All you have to do is RSVP here. Due to COVID regulations, RSVP is required so that we can make sure adequate space is provided. Your student must already be enrolled in the club to attend. Want to enroll your student in a Club? Email PHASTAR's Joelle McNea at JMcNea@Davisam.org
11th Grade Geometry Presentations
After-School Academic Support
If you have questions, please email Ms. Bowen at LBowen@DavisAM.org
PHASTAR & Maritime Science
In addition to the Spirit of America program, the Maritime students explored various facets of the maritime industry in the course of a walking tour of Voinovich Park, taking notice of various tools and safety apparatus such as lifelines, life stations and different types of mooring devices. The tour also included watching the Good Time III disembark from the dock and noting similarities and differences of excursion vessels and industrial ships, such as the William G Mather and the Good Time III.
Maritime students were also led on a tour of the William G. Mather Steamship Museum with detailed commentary about the life of a merchant mariner on the Great Lakes. Students learned about the responsibilities of multiple jobs in each department of the vessel, including deck crew, engineering crew, and galley crew.
PHASTAR Thematic Clubs Update
PHASTAR is excited to once again sponsor the Digital Fabrication Laboratory Club in the second school semester. With a new Fab Lab Manager, Chip Redding, students will become familiar with equipment usage by producing fun projects. As students develop mastery with each machine, they will receive achievement stars. After learning the software and hardware for the 3D printers, laser engraver/cutter, and CNC router, they will become eligible to earn a silver star as either a shop assistant or shop mentor. We are hoping the students find the club entertaining while challenging and an overall engaging and rewarding experience.
Complete the Say Yes Cleveland Survey
Parents/Guardians should complete the survey each year. If you have not already done so this year, go to https://cleveland.sytepps.org or scan the QR code pictured to the left. You will need your child's student ID number (found on their school schedule or an old CMSD report card).
If you have additional questions, please contact Ms. Taylor Molton, our Family Support Specialist, at TMolton@DavisAM.org or 216.838.2500.
Community Resources & Announcements
Weekly List of Job Openings
Step Forward compiles a list of jobs that are available in Greater Cleveland each week. The list here is arranged by industry. Each entry includes brief information about the position with a link to the job posting for more information and to apply.
Community Resource & Employment Service
Stay Connected With Davis
A lot of important messages from the district and the school are being announced. Make sure your contact information is updated so that you receive the latest information.
*To update your address or phone number, please call the school. 216.838.2500
*To receive our school texts, please email LBowen@DavisAM.org with your cell # and your student's name
Year-Round School Calendar Dates:
- 11th: Veteran's Day - All CMSD facilities closed
- 12th: Staff Professional Development Day (No School for Students)
- 24th - 26th: Thanksgiving Break
- 17th: End of Second Marking Period
- 20th: Winter Break Begins (CMSD Schools Closed)
- 10th: Year-Round School Classes Resume