Mercury Online Happenings
October 15-19 2012
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- Thursday, October 25th: Parent Education Meeting @ 8:30pm Eastern
- Sunday, November 4th: Daylight Savings Time ends- this means AZ will only be 2 hours behind Eastern time!
- Tuesday, November 6th: Staff Meeting in Stephanie's office @ 7pm Eastern
- Friday, November 9th: Advisement meeting in Julie's office @ 2pm Eastern
- **Beginning August 28th, all adjunct teachers must submit invoices to Brenda McCullers on the 14th and 28th of the month**
This week we spotlight Dawn Miller, Mercury teacher and Math Department Chair. She has been teaching 7 years, and her favorite 2 years have been with Mercury!
I have a stepson, Cameron (12), who is the best big brother in the world and a great little golfer.
My son, Brady (3.5), – my little cotton top is playing his first year of soccer and is in his first year of school. I am married to Clint…..contractor, realtor and manager of a landscape company.
I enjoy any kind of exercise, riding four wheelers, fishing, reading and hanging out with my boys.
My co-worker is a Pomeranian named Gizzy. She likes to get in front of the camera when we have face time in class.
Thanks Dawn for ALL of the hard work each and every day- we appreciate you:)
Environmental club is having their first meeting on Friday. The students will be finding their carbon footprint (an online activity to see how much carbon they emit into the atmosphere doing daily activities) and they will be making goals for reducing that number. At the end of the month, they will check their "footprint" again to see if their changes made an impact.
This week in Art Club students worked on a "Birch Tree Collage." Each artist used paint to create a colorful backdrop that they adhered hand-drawn and painted birch trees onto. There were many beautiful examples of the "Birch Tree Collage." One of our elementary students, Dylan Hope, did a fabulous job of combining fall colors into his painted backdrop! Coming up, students will be studying color in greater depth through a creative "Color Wheel" project! Stay tuned!
This Birch Tree Collage here was done by Elementary Art Club student Dylan Hope (CA)!
High School Book Club
The high school book club met on Wednesday. We discussed the book, What Happened to Goodbye, by Sarah Dessen. Our favorite quote for the week is when Dave says to McLean:
“But if you never really make friends, you probably don’t have anyone to be your two a.m. . . . you know. The person you can call at 2:00 a.m. and no matter what, you can count on them. Even if they're asleep or it's cold...they'll come for you. It's like, the highest level of friendship.”
Our newest installment.... TEACHER TIP OF THE WEEK!
Many of you have probably seen Dr Payne's work but take a moment to watch the short video (link below) as we communicate with our students:)
What Is Going On In Other Mercury Locations?
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Muskegon Heights, Michigan
You will receive updates here that will pertain to our students in any of these locations!
- be sure to consult the various calendars in D2L for these locations
Teachers PLEASE be sure you are keeping your D2L grade book updated. Whenever a program needs grades for a progress report, we export the D2L grade book current average. Thank you!
Online Paragon Nights!
We look forward to seeing what our wonderful students have created!
End of the Grading Period is coming!
Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns - the deadlines stated are very important!
- AZ End of Grading Period: October 19th
- CA and Prep End of Grading Period: October 24th
- CO End of Grading Period: October 30th
This week's deadlines:
Friday October 19th: End of the GP in AZ.
Be sure you are......
- Continue following up with parents of any failing students
- Continue updating gradebooks
- Continue updating the Communication Log
- Enter information for students in Alpine on each individual PSAP document
- Grades K-8: Set up GP#2 classes
- Grades K-8: Ensure that the end dates for your GP#1 courses are correct
Here is the link to the wonderful step by step recording that Carrie Polk has provided for creating PSAPs in Alpine:
Targeted Learning Series.....
Next week's topic: TBA
Join us if you can:)
Upcoming Paragon Units- Be aware for Cross-curricular connections!
CO 6th graders: Renaissance
CA 7th: Medieval Africa
AZ 7th: Civil War
CO 7th: China/Japan
CA 8th: Westward Expansion
AZ 8th: WWII
CO 8th: The Constitution
Contemporary World Cultures: Middle East / Rise of Islam
Paragon World History: Pre-Columbian America (including Mayas, Aztecs, Incas)