College entrance requirements
Berea's Academic Requirements
Most of our students score between 20 and 30 on the ACT (1410 – 1980 SAT) and have a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.0 in a strong college prep curriculum. Students may take either the ACT or SAT.
We also consider other factors such as community service, leadership qualities, and levels of motivation. We strongly recommend the following high school curriculum:
- Four (4) units of English (including composition, rhetoric, and literature)
- Three (3) units of Mathematics (at least Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry)
- Two (2) units of Laboratory Science
- Two (2) units of Social Science/History (including World History)
- Two (2) units of a foreign language
High school transcripts and official score reports are required for the evaluation of academic qualfications.
New Freshmen Requirements
- Financial information in the form of the 2016-2017 FAFSA
- Official High School Transcript (Home School Students must use the Home School Supplement Form)
- Official ACT or SAT I scores
- The personal statement and/or resume is optional for all applicants, but we strongly encourage those who have experienced obstacles or adversity to submit this document (please be sure to include your name and date of birth on each page). If you choose to submit a personal statement, please write an essay (approximately 250-500 words) on a topic of your choice that describes significant accomplishments and/or challenges you have overcome and your motivations to do so. Please remember this statement allows us to better understand you as a student and as a person, apart from your grades, test scores, and other quantitative data.
- Complete the Berea College Application for Admission and Scholarship (online formor PDF). There is no fee to apply to Berea.