1E Newsletter: Week of January 10
What's going on in 1st grade!
New Procedures and Dragon Bands
Starting January 17th, 2016 there will be some changes for students and parents entering the ASD Campus supporting student safety.
All students will be required to scan their Dragon Wristband entering and exiting the campus. It is recommended that you remind your child to wear their wristband daily. Replacement Dragon Bands may be purchased at the front desk of the Administrative entrance for 50 qr. Wristbands will be distributed to Lower Elementary Students on Thursday, January 14th. Your child’s dragon band will be labeled with their name by a key tag. We kindly ask parents to keep this label on the wrist band for easy identification. Thank you for establishing a routine for the Dragon Bands at home.
Parents and domestic staff will not be permitted through Gate 5 for morning drop off. Students
may enter through Gate 5 using their wristbands and teachers will be there to supervise starting at 7:40 AM. Parents wishing to accompany their children to classes are asked to enter through Gates 8 & 10.
Pick-up procedures will remain the same, parents will be able to enter and exit the campus through Gate 5 from 2:45 - 4:15 PM. Pick up procedures for PACT Tuesdays and our Pre-K Students will also remain the same, parents will be able to enter through Gate 5 at 12:15 PM.
We kindly ask parents and guests to enter through Gate 8 during the school day.
Upon arrival at school, students will store their Dragon Bands for the day. They will be available for lunch. Please be sure to discuss with your child if he/she is purchasing lunch each day. Thank you for going over the importance of being responsible for these bands.
We thank you for your continued patience and cooperation as we work to keep our school safe and continue the improvements to the ASD campus.
Sincerely,ASD and 1st Grade Teachers
Things Coming Home
A few things that are coming home...
- Math Unit 2 test to sign and and return
- High Frequency Word Lists update- here is another copy of the HFW lists with an update of how your child is doing. Thank you for continuing to practice these at home.
- New Dismissal Procedure and Dragon Bands (letter above)
This week we are publishing our personal narrative stories and wrapping up the unit.
We are wrapping up our character reading unit:
This week we are starting a new unit in math: bigger numbers to 40
- revision tools: flaps, carrots, and different color pens, ARMS (add, remove, move, substitute)
- editing: using a red pen, CUPS (capitals, usage, punctuation, spelling)
- cover and illustrations
- making a mind map about our favorite character and his/her traits
- talking about our favorite characters
- reflecting on the unit
- launching and exploring bigger numbers
- use the place value chart to record and name tens and ones within a two-digit number
- interpret two-digit number as either tens and some ones or as all ones
- write and interpret two-digit numbers as addition sentences that combine tens and ones
- clothing in different locations for different environments
- Children plan a vacation and pack a suitcase full of clothing appropriate for their destination. (desert, grassland, tundra, rainforest)
- continuing to work on ecosystem poster/project
Collecting Cardboard for Explore Time
January 10-14- AMA Book Fair
January 19- Full-day of school, 3pm dismissal
January 21- No School
January 24-28- Visiting Artist- Danny Gregory
February 2- ASD Sports Day
February 4- Elementary Swim Champs
February 9- No School, Qatar Sports Day
February 14- Valentine’s Classroom Party
February 14-18- Reading Week
February 23- 1st Grade 100th Day of School
February 23- 2nd Grade Concert
February 26- Friendship Festival
March 10- Trimester 2 Ends
March 17- Report Cards sent home electronically
March 17- St. Patrick’s Day and Shamrock Shamble
March 25-April 4- Spring Break
April- Poetry Month
April 5- Full-day of school, 3pm dismissal
April 8- ASD Fun Day
April 21- Arabic Concert, 7:30pm
April 26-28- Used Book Sale
April 27-28- Student-Led Conferences- Portfolio Day
May 1-17- PK-12 Art Show
May 3- PTA Faculty/Staff Appreciation Lunch
May 8- 1st Grade Writer’s Café
May 12- 5th Grade Play
May 17- KG Music Concert
May 19- Volunteer Breakfast
May 22- No School for Students, Teacher Professional Development
May 24- Full-day of school, 3pm dismissal
May 26- Assistant Appreciation Lunch
June 5- Step-Up Day
June 7- Full-day of school, 3pm dismissal
June 9- Last Day Assembly
June 9- Last Day of School, Report Cards go home