Inquiry & Research I Charts
What is an Inquiry & Research I-chart?
Inquiry and research charts are similar to KWL charts. They are an organizational tool to keep what we know, want to know and what we learned during research activities. This is a great tool for students who are going to visit several media sources. I-charts encourage students to listen or read about new information to find answers to their questions.
Inquiry & Research I- Charts
How it works
1. Decide on a topic.
2. Provide each student with a blank copy of an I-chart.
3. Guide students in choosing questions about the topic.
4. Collect materials (websites, books, articles,etc.)
1. Explore materials
2. Share facts
3. Read & Reread
How can a teacher use an Inquiry & research I-Chart?
- I-Charts can be used with small groups, whole groups or individually.
- "I- Charts can serve as an evaluation tool for how much a student has learned about a topic." (adlit.org)
- I-Charts teach young student to generate meaningful questions about a topic.
- I-Charts foster critical thinking and strengthen reading skills
- Various perspective are explored when students use I-charts.
Altierri, J.L. (2011). Cotent counts! Developing disciplinary literacy skills, K-6. Newark, DE: International Reading Association.