GHA School Newsletter
Vol. 1, Issue 8 (May 2018)
2018-19 school year
We are pleased to announce some new changes for the 2018-19 school year! Please read through this newsletter and see the attached slides to learn more about what to expect. The slides below are in English and French and offer more details than what is in this newsletter. They are the slides that were shared in the parent meeting on May 4th. Thank you!
Save your place for next year: deposits
In order to reserve a place for next academic year we ask all parents to pay a 500,000 RWF deposit by June 1st. This allows us to plan accordingly by ordering enough materials and hiring enough staff. All families that pay before this due date are guaranteed a spot for next academic year. On June 2nd we will open enrollment to the public and will operate on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that some classes are especially full and parents run the risk of losing their spot if they do not pay the deposit. Deposits are per family (not per child), non-refundable and are subtracted from tuition fees.
•Please note the following classes are especially full (listing current classes): N3 50/50; Grade 1; Grade 4; Grade 6 50/50; Grade 7 English; Grade 8 English; Grade 9
- Nursery - British Early Years Curriculum
- Grades 1-10 - Cambridge International Examinations
- Grades 11-12 - International Baccalaureate
- 50/50 program - French National Curriculum
We made this decision after considering the following factors:
- international context
- ability of our students
- ability to source materials
- ability to get regional and online professional development for teaching staff
- assessment opportunities
Why did we choose Cambridge International Examinations for Grades 1-10?
- it is designed for students internationally
- we can get get professional development regionally and online
- we can source materials to support the curriculum
- we can do progression checks to monitor our students' achievement
Check out this link below to learn more about Cambridge: http://www.cambridgeinternational.org/cambridge-for/parents-and-students/
- 7:30am-3:30pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- 7:30am-12:50pm on Wednesdays and Fridays
- After school programs will run from 3:45-4:45pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Academic support and enrichment program will run from 5:00pm-7:00pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Note: Nursery will start at 7:30am and part time will end at 12:00pm
Why did we change our school hours?
We found that our students were in school much longer than worldwide averages, and we believe it has impacted our students' and teachers' wellbeing. Students need time to decompress, rest, play, and pursue interests and hobbies. As a school we'd also like more time for teacher collaboration and training. Friday afternoons will give us additional time for that.
Next year there will be no tuition fee increase for nursery, primary and middle school and a 5% increase on tuition for high school.
Stationary now treated as a separate fee and supplies will be delivered to homeroom teachers. The fees will be applied as follows:
•Nursery – already included in tuition
•Grades 1-6 – 60,000 RWF per year
•Grades 7-8 – 100,000 RWF per year
•Grades 9-10 – 110,00 RWF per year
•Grades 11-12 – 60,000 RWF per year
We are also incorporating a technology fee at the following rate:
•30,000 RWF per year for N3
•60,000 RWF per year for Grades 1-12
Technology fees will allow us to install projectors in the classrooms, increase our internet speed, purchase new laptops, hire ICT teachers and start incorporating more 21st century skills into life at GHA.
You can download our fee structure below.
- Science and sports camp for students in Nursery - Grade 8 (mornings only or full time)
- Sports Camp for students in Grades 6 -12 (mornings only)
Please see the brochure below. Please note students can join on a weekly basis if desired, and we are offering bussing services.